Turning a Lefty Bass Into A Righty?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ManicHeretic, Jun 20, 2003.

1. ManicHeretic

Jun 20, 2003
    not sure if this has been posted before, but i have a lefty fender p-bass my uncle didnt want, im righty and i know it can be done but is there someway i could awitch the nut around cause thats pretty much whats stopping me from doing it, it looks pretty nice too...
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You would probably have to replace the nut, and if youre fairly handy you can buy blank nuts and file them to your specs. Also, be sure that you can get the G string to be tight enough in the nut to prevent buzz, since the G string would use the closest tuning peg, and not have a string tree to run under.

How is that Bass going to feel being upside down, and where are you going to put the front strap button? Id make sure you can get that Bass to fit you comfortably before I went through the trouble of replacing the nut.

Good luck.

Theres a guy down in the classifieds looking for a lefty Fender neck, and he has a righty Fender neck to trade for it. Take a look here.....
  3. ManicHeretic

Jun 20, 2003
    lets say ur holding the bass lefty like normal, the front peg would be put directly onto the body under the neck adjacent to the normal position of it just under the neck, then switch it around, change the nut like you said and hopefully be good to go...i actually just found a pic of it believe it or not, my friend IMed it to me.....looks awesome right?
  4. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Looks like it wouldnt be all that balanced..... but hey, a free Bass is a free Bass.
  5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I recently did the same thing. It is possible to simply flip the nut around; just be careful and pry it out with a screw driver or some other sharp tool. Once flipped, it ought to still fit fairly tightly back in, at which point string tension should hold it in place. Its been working fine for me... although the truss rod on my flipped P sure needs some work!
  6. ManicHeretic

Jun 20, 2003
    i cant agree more, plus it is a nice lil project for me...
  7. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    ever think of trading it in at a music store ? all the stores now a'days are doing the used thing and fenders always have a good re-sale value, so dont let them tell you they dont hold their price when being re-sold. good luck bro:D
  8. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Not a bad thought, but lefty Basses are in lower demand than righty, so a store may not be willing to give a huge trade in allowance if it may hang on the wall forever.

Doesnt hurt to look into it though.........
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    learn how to play left handed. That would be pretty awesome to play both left and right handed.
  10. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    As a lefty I say SELL it! There's always a lefty looking for a bass (esp a P Bass).
    Then go buy yourself a real righty.
    I spent years playing an "upside down" righty bass....it's alot more fun when it's the "right way around"
  11. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I agree w/ DaBassman. I'm a lefty and my first bass was a righty that I flipped. The nut mod is the easy part. You could have it professionally done for around $60.

If you are going to flip it...keep these things in mind.

Upper fret (the last 5 or 6) access is severely limited because you have the horn to contend with.

The knobs get in the way of proper, relaxed technique.

If you do flip it... I beg of you...PLEASE don't drill the lower horn for a strap (like the picture in this thread)...you'd be killing the resale value. I'd recommend putting a nylon washer and your strap onto one of the neckplate bolts and leaving the strap on the bass.

I actually had a guitar teacher who attached all of his straps that way because he preferred the balance.
  12. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    this is all true but... squiers arnt that well balanced, to me any way

so if you've got one of those, i say sell it and make some money