Turning a lefty to a righty?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lowner, May 28, 2005.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I know this guy who has a left handed Hondo copy of a fender jazz bass for sale. its really cheap. i was thinking of buying it and converting it to a right handed bass since I am right handed. What do I do? I was thinking or changing out the neck to a right handed one. Or do I just reverse string it? I was also going to change out the pick ups forbetter sounding ones.
  2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    It's cheaper to just buy a new nut and have it cut for a right-handed bass. Reverse-stringing it will do nicely, but I'd advise against it, as your left hand wouldn't be able to access the upper register.

As for pups, I personally like passives for J-Basses, and would recommend, on that note, Kent Armstrong or Lindy Fralin.
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Fralins are amazing on a Jazz.

And go ahead and flip it over. How often will you play higher than that? (Actually I do often, but that's not the point.) Just cut a new nut and restring her and she's a righty. It worked for Jimi.
  4. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Do whatcha like. Just remember, the knobs and cable will be where your forearm rests and there is no body contour on that side. If you do it, you might as well keep the neck and just change the nut as previously stated.
  5. I tried a right-strung lefty Pedulla Pentabuzz, & it was awkward, but I was specifically trying to hit the upper registers. The knob placement seems like it could cause problems, too(your forearm might turn the volume up or down at a very inopportune time). Also consider strap button placement, & how that will affect how the bass hangs.
  6. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I knew a guy who played a right handed bass left handed. he didn't have any problem with it. But for those of us who have trouble playing things reverse stringd, i'd just replace the nut.