1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

turning an active bass battery-free

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BaRaN, Mar 16, 2017.

1. BaRaN

BaRaN

Oct 18, 2016
    Hello guys, I have a little problem about my old bass which is Cort A5. It has a 9V battery slot, and active passive switch. But bass doesn't work without a charged battery. I am not sure is this the way it should be but my new bass(ibanez btb7) has a 9V battery and active passive switch too. And it can work without plugging a battery if I switch to passive mod. So is there a way to modify my cort to make it battery-free? without changing pickups especially? I could buy processor with the money I paid for those batteries :bored:

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Assuming the Cort has passive pickups with a preamp, you should be able to bypass the preamp with a switch making it function without a battery.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If that sucker cuts off in passive mode with no battery in it, then that switch is not truly an active/passive switch.

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    It's an 'EQ bypass' switch. There is an active blend on that MK1 preamp. The switch bypass only the EQ section of the preamp.
    See this post and the post #12 below that:
    Bass EQ Toggle Switch Nightmare, Please help :'(

Not the same bass but you should have the same configuration inside your bass:
    Lakland 01 Club

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. A properly wired active/passive switch is all you need.

6. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    In order to do that, one need to know the right point on the preamp module to connect the switch. And, of course, a proper blend pot of choice.

7. Really? If it is using batteries much faster than your other bass, perhaps check the jack is functioning/wired correctly. If you unplug when you aren't using it, with normal use, you should get many months of battery life with a typical pre.

But, yeah, FWIW, you should be able to rewire it as active/passive. If it has an active blend circuit, you'll need to change the blend pot, the volume pot and possibly the switch. You may also need to place a resistor or two to stop switch pop. Ask around for a tech with an electronics background. IME, this sort of thing will often baffle the local guitar shop setup guy...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  8. BaRan, your Cort A5 and my Ocean Laguna are essentially the same bass. Shortly after I bought it, I found the schematics and made an emergency bypass in case the battery or preamp went out during a gig. If you only want to run it passive, as your question suggests, this may help.

For what it's worth, I've been running it this way (passive) for about the last 3 years. I eventually didn't like the preamp after the first two years.

You just need two jumper wires. Pull the battery, disconnect the 3 connectors from the preamp, and put the jumpers as shown in this diagram (highlighted in blue).

EmergencyWiring.jpg
    Now the toggle switch that was the "eq on/eq bypass" is a convenient "on/off" switch for the bass with no popping. You'll still have blend control of the pickups and volume control. You'll lose treble, middle, and bass tone controls.

May not be fully what you want, but thought I'd throw it out here.