Turning an all valve Guitar amp into a Bass amp (or something close enough!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Apr 1, 2003.

1. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002

As you problably already understood from my long "Subject" I would like to know if anyone has a little secret that woukd make my Laney (an all tube - power and pre-amp - with a 12" speaker) amp sound better when played thru my bass (a Yamaha TRB6II).
    I know that this is a stupid, crazy, "do not do it" idea but I really cannot afford a bass amp at this time and I cannot sell the Laney (it was a gift!!!!!!!!).
    I don't want to be loud. I just want something to play in my bedroom...
    I plug my bass into a Sansamp Bass Driver DI and the BDDI into the effects return of my amp. The sound is not bad at all, but maybe there something that can make it better (new speaker, new tubes, add a horn (??), ...).

Well, I don't know if this makes any sense, but at least I tried.... :p
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    If your Laney is an LC 30 or VC 30 then it's a sound amp that is let down by poor tubes and speakers. A mate of mine fitted a celestion speaker and new valves and it really improved as a guitar amp .

I have played bass through all tube guitar amps and the biggest problem is the speaker. You could change the speaker to a 12 in bass one (celestion emimnence jensen etc).

I you still play guitar and only use the laney at home then why not get a bass cab, you could hook it up as and when needed.

Please note that all the solutions are no substitute for a big loud bass dedicated amplifier/cab.