1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

turning an essex into fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yellowbassj, May 1, 2006.

1. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    I want to buy a essex bass and replace stuff like, put a fender neck on it and put in new pickups. I like punk and metal so sould I get the p/j for a punkish sound or just get the jazz? I should go listion to some sound clips of a j and p/j. What should I get? Also how hard is it to wire p/j pickups?:hyper:

2. to turn your SX into a fender, all you need is some sandpaper and this

:)

anyways, you need to be more specifc...you can get the "punk sound" with a jazz pickup and a precision pickup

I would estimate wiring a PJ set would be around twice as hard as wiring a single pickup...mainly because PJ is two...P is one...

3. A used Fender is way better than a modded SX anyday. Besides, no guarantee the parts will be 100% compatible...save yerself the headaches. Go used, it's the punk thing to do.

Mon

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wouldn't it just be cheaper/easier to get a Fender? I mean don't let me stand in your way of doing a project or something, but if you're just trying to make a Fender, then just get a Fender. But hey, that's just my opinion.

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    SX is better than a Fender :bag:

6. I was hoping you'd post that. And Warwicks are waaaaaaaaaaay different than Fenders. So there.

to battle! :smug:

7. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005

I have to agree with that:)I think what to do if your interested in this project, work out how much itll cost if its a lot less than a fender than do it. If theres not much in it get a fender. The end of the day its your choice:)

8. I know.....get a USED SX, and a USED Fender neck (or, a new Mighty Mite neck, they're like 80 bucks day in and day out on the 'Bay) and you'd only be out a hundred 125 bucks or so....:D

Or, a Hoppus bass. Now THAT is punk.

9. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY

Except for the fact that the headstock is different and that it says stratocaster on the decal. Then again you could always cut that part off.

10. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    I am trying to make a vintage looking Fender. I want to put in inlays and other vintage stuff...and it's cheaper if I build piece by piece.

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    how fenderish does the P bass in the middle look?

[​IMG]

12. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    It looks okay but I don't like the quilt on a p-bass. it's okay and unique. What parts did you put into it? Are the body shapes of essex and fender about the same?

nice jazz

13. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
  14. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Or you buy some decal paper and print it with a color laser printer.

15. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

In this case "A Rose by any other Name" is still an Essex.

George

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You might want to make sure that a Fender neck will fit into an SX neck pocket. Last I checked, it didn't.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What's stopping you from buying a MIM Fender and modding it such?

First of all, piece by piece is the most expensive way to do something. Buying parts will cost you much mroe than the whole, almost definately.

Secondly, the Fender and SX neck pockets are generally not compatible.

Third, inlays are going to be one of the most expensive modifications you can do. In order to have inlays installed, great care is required, lots of time, and a refret is almost 100% mandatory, It's nearly impossible to do this with frets installed. Why not just get something you want to begin with, it will be cheaper and worth the hassle.

And why do you want a vintage looking Fender? What's punk about that?

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Why dont you start off with the Fender.

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You're right. When I bought a used SX fretless P clone, I had no intention of modding it. But then I saw a new MIM Fender Jazz fretless neck on eBay, and couldn't resist. I thought it would fit based on rough visual comparisons with my Fenders, but the screw holes were a couple millimeters off. Ditto the screw holes for the tuners.

So I just said to heck with it, and bought all new Fender parts from the same seller who provided the neck. A few hundred later, I have an unusual, very cool bass: MIM Precision with MIM fretless Jazz neck, and American Series pickup. All parts were purchased new except the pickup, which came from my 2004 MIA P. I had a tech install a series/parallel switch too.

Don't bother with the SX if you want a Fender project. Buy a used Fender, and mod to taste.

20. +1(00)