Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turning an intro into a song (songwriting)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JmD, Feb 25, 2006.

1. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    I've got an intro written down based on a chord sequence and a simple bassline based on the root.

How do I begin to turn this into a entire song?

I think I have writers block, and I've only started song-writing today!

If anyone wants to offer some advice, I can e-mail you the intro thus far (it's on Guitar Pro 4), or is there anyway I can host this so I don't have to email anyone?

2. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    how do you know the part you wrote is the intro? it may be the bridge, or chorus or nothing. keep playing the part you wrote and quit thinking about it so much. your hands will go to the next part naturally. or, maybe there is no next part. don't be afraid to play something really simple. it is easier to build on something simple because simple parts allow the music to breath. i usually try to make the parts different from each other, but i may keep them rythmicly the same, or vice versa. i basicly let the song write itself. if this is your first song, it is ok to emulate an artist you may admire. but in the end, you have to write what you want to write. sincerity is easy to hear, and easy to spot if it is missing. you also must understand that as a songwriter, it may not be you who is writing the song. you may only be a filter. peace, jeff

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN..... IT GIVES ME GREAT PLEASURE TO INTRODUCE TO YOU....... (uh..I can't do this until I know who I'm introducing!)

In almost every case, the Overture to the opera was that last thing written.

Just write. The music you make today might be the bridge of something you write next week.... or the last chorus of something you write 10 years from now. Keep a notebook or make tapes, whatever works for you. When you get in a rut and can't think of what to write, visit the notebook.

Just create. Form and order with come to you in time. Every good song has a life of its own... don't force it. Discover it.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have so many 'riffs' that are about 13 years old now that it's not funny. but every now and then i find a situation while working on other tunes where one of those little riffs fit like a glove. dont pressure yourself into thinking that you have to finish a song in linear fashion.

but to help you out some, try modifying the chord progression some and playing with the rhythms. that should get you going as far as coming up with other parts for the song.