1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turning it up and rocking out in GC, will you do it?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by wmcjhi, Jun 19, 2007.

1. wmcjhi

wmcjhi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Inspired by a post in another thread in this forum:

I don't mean blisteringly, annoyingly loud, but just a good volume that'd be heard pretty much throughout the store. I haven't been playing for too long, but I'm learning guitar and bass simultaneously (but not as if they were the same instrument, you all have taught me better than that ;))...anway:

I usually am a bit self conscious and don't want to turn up where anybody can really hear me. I went in with a buddy this past saturday as he wants to buy an electric guitar (he's our bass player, but likes noodling on guitar too, I'm technically our lead guitar, but we're all learning together so it doesn't much matter) and I just thought "eh, screw it." We plugged into a nice Ampeg Combo with 2 12s IIRC and I just turned it up and had at it with some Gibson SG's, Xplorers, and a few Schecter/Jackson/whatever, ending it up with a Highway One Strat. We'd each play it, then go try something else.

It's probably because I'm getting a bit better so I don't sound like utter trash, but I just figured "what the hell, who cares what they think, I want to hear how it sounds".

How about you guys? Just wonder how you do it. I think we can all agree we don't want to be "that guy" sweep picking or slapping as fast and loud as possible, but what do you do?

P.S.
    If anyone wonders, he didn't end up buying anything, but we're going back soonish to decide. He really likes SGs, but the one we played felt like crud to me. The Xplorer was the only one I didn't really spend much time on but he liked it the best. I'd have to try again. The little $400 schecter felt dang good, but the Jackson (around $1k I believe) had a few dead notes that ruined a thing or two I played (specifically the intro to One Last Breath). The highway one wasn't bad, but had about the highest action I've ever seen on an electric. I loves me my American Fat Strat (H-S-S).

We were just headed over to the bass section when the friend we'd been waiting on called and said he was headed our way (we were randomly building a 6 foot trebuchet, so we had to meet up at my buddy's dad's shop), so that cut the second half out.

2. Depending on what I'm there for it's different.

If I'm serioulsy shopping for a bass, head or cab, I turn it up enough to get a good idea of what it's going to sound like in 'real life' application. If it's a cab I crank it to see what it can do! Not for too long though.

If I'm just f'n around and noodling (checking out 5,6 strings, high $$$ basses that I'll never be able to afford, etc) I turn it relatively low.

I'm no ace by any means and there's nothing worse than fret buzz turned up to 11!

3. If im considering buying something, you better beleive that its getting cranked.
    I cranked up the GK 1001 before I bought it...

Now if im just in there checking different stuff out but not really looking at buying anything I keep the volume low... Well... Somewhat low.

4. wmcjhi

wmcjhi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    You aren't kidding. I had it turned up decently loud practicing last night and got grooving pretty well and forgot what I was doing, then "BZZZZZZZT"! Ouch. Time to turn down...and pay more attention.

5. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    If I'm not buying anything that day (no money in my pockets), I keep it pretty cool while I'm checking out equipment brands.

If I'm thinking of buying, I'll get a salesman to come over and I'll let him/her know that I want to check it out at a high volume for a minute or two. They are much nicer to you if you ask them first.

6. +1

Agreed

7. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends where i'm at. the store in town here is run really badly. the owners don't really know much ("theres no such thing as a wireless system. period. doesn't exist.") So if i'm in there i tend to play louder.

When I'm at the good shop (1 hour drive) I always ask if its alright if i play at higher volumes when testing amps/cabs/basses. If I'm trying effects i keep it pretty low.

8. I'll do it in a heartbeat if I need to in order to test out a piece of gear. That's rare though...

I had a friend who wasn't a bass player but who always thought it was funny to go over to the bass section, pickup a bass, plug it in, turn it as loud as possible, and try to play the verse line to "fistfull of steel" by rage against the machine (the one bass line i'd taught him). I'd be sitting there in some part of GC and hear this complete noise of fret buzz and muffed notes, loud as hell...

9. you should buy a w/less system and bring it in to the shop "I want to see what it sounds like with my wireless"

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    if i'm checking out an amp or cab or bass, i'll crank it up for a little bit, yeah. if i'm just trying a few things out or fooling around, then i'll keep it pretty quiet.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

11. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    I crank it!

12. I usually keep it fairly low if I'm just looking. If I would be buying, I'll step it up a bit.

Last time I was in GC looking at an amp, 7 Nation Army by The White Stripes came on, and I couldn't resist going louder. Little did I know, someone was playing guitar in there at the same time and did the exact same thing as me. Needless to say, you couldn't hear the song on the speaker system.

13. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    if the guitarists are playing as loud as GC will let them, ill turn up as loud as they are. its especially fun at the Accessories part of the local store. i start playing the riff to one song, and they try to follow me, and then i switch to a different riff. :)

14. ric1312

ric1312 Inactive

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    If I'm not shopping to actually buy/compare I don't fill the whole store with my incessant yammering on a bass or guitar.

I just can't stand that. Several times I've been to sam ash or GC to look at a specific bass, and there was always some dope just there to play the guitars with obviously no intention to buy. Meanwhile I can't hear what I'm trying to do over whatever crap version of the cover tune these guys are trying to impress the room with.

Just quit and go to a jam night. It's one thing to try a guitar to see how it sounds. It's another thing to walk into these stores every day and make it your personal reherasal session.

Just fricken rude. To make matters worse 95% percent of the people yammering away play really badly.

15. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That is a good idea, maybe I will.

The owner also says theres no such thing as bass effects. :rollno:

I came back with all my effects and played threw an ampeg stack. Shut him up.

There selling 15 feet of Neutrek Speakon cable for 85$ CDN!!!:eek:

rip off i say.

16. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    It what I ALWAYS do when I'm there.

17. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    If I'm just browsing for guitars I never even plug in. I'm really more interested in the feel.

If I'm serious about buying, I'll take it to a practice room or 'amp room'. That goes for instruments or amps.

I NEVER annoy the other store customers.

18. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I work, literally, a block away from a GC, and am always in there. All the salesguys/gals know me (some by name).

I pretty much keep it quiet, when I'nm playing something, and I think they appreciate it.

When I'm in there, at lunch hour usually, I hate it when someone's in there just blasting. I don't get it. If you're good, you usually don't need more than a minute of volume to know if the gear is right, right?

19. joelyb

joelyb

Feb 1, 2007
    sydney australia
    i have some friends that work in stores and they have given me a different point of view on this type of thing...
    when ever i go into a store and i want to try something out, i always , without fail, ask someone who works there if it is ok. there are a whole lot of people who say that you should just go in and crank everything and treat everthing like it is your own but imagine how angry you would be if you were playing a gig and in your set break some one picked up your gear and started playing on it without asking. i dont know many people who wouldnt be having a few words to say, jus because it is on a wall in a shop doesnt mean that the guy who paid for it to be on the wall (the owner) wont be as angry.

by all means test the gear to see if it is going to do what you want but if you just want to turn it up and show how good ( or usually bad) your playing is, do it at home. chances are the staff will end up being more open to hooking you up with some good deals. the bottom line is respect i think

jb

20. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Nope. In the GC, my volume is as low as it can possibly be while still being able to hear the tone of whatever equipment I'm demoing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021