1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turning my LMII into a headphone amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kwesi, Mar 20, 2009.

1. So I just bought an LMII to compare it to my Shuttle 6.0. I'm still testing out each but I think I'm going to stick with the LMII. Maybe I'll write up a review at some point.

But my question is: with the LMII's exclusion of a headphone out would there be a way to still use it as a headphone amp? I'm going to college soon and I know that I'm going to need to be able to practice with headphones so that I don't disturb my dorm-mates. There's probably a simple fix to this that I can't seem to think of right now (like using the effects return as an AUX input) so I'm turning you TB for help. And yes, I have tried using the effects send.

If I actually have to pay for something I'd like to pay as little as possible.

2. Illinimax

Illinimax

Oct 11, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The Tascam CD bass trainer is a fairly cheap solution to consider. Headphones sound pretty good, there's a metronome and you can jam to CDs to boot.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Just buy a mono 1/4" to two mono 1/4" Y cable and plug it into the speaker out. Start with the gain and master controls down and slowly bring them up until the level in your headphones are comfortable to you. Do you know the impedance of your headphones? What model and brand are they? Don't worry that the amp is too powerful for the headphones; as long as the volume is not blasting you away there will be no damage to them.

4. Just don't bump that volume knob! Plugging headphones into a speaker out is high on my list of things to never try.

I would sooner run through my computer (possibly using the LMII's as a pre, running from the DI to the computer or something. Should work pretty well going direct in with an active bass.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I would recomend making your own Cable Adapter out of quality plugs and wire.

Speakon Connector Plug with two hots soldered together and hooked to the 1+ and the negative hooked to the 1-, then on the other end a Switchcraft Female Stereo1/4" Inline Connector with one hot soldered to tip, one hot soldered to ring, and one negative soldered to sleeve.

Then make sure your Headphones are something like 64 ohms so if you slip you do not blow your ears off your head.:D

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I wouldn't bother. Keep your eye out for something like a Korg PX4B. They pop up often and don't cost very much (~$100 or less). You'll have headphone out, can run two instruments in or an audio player, had drum presets, effects, amp models, tuner and a bunch of other decent features.

One time just for grins I hooked up a small 4 channel mixer (into a DC/AC converter plug) and ran that and my bass through my battery powered PX4B into the Aux in in my Honda Element, opened the doors and had a jam session. Pretty cool, very portable

The newer PX4D is for guitar and bass and runs ~$160.

7. Now that sounds like all kinds of awesome. I was thinking I may have to do something like that anyways I just didn't want to drop $160 on a headphone amp. I always have the option of playing through my computer but I may still get the P4XD for the sole purpose of jamming through my car, lol.Something told me to make use of the 1/8th in. AUX jack in my new car stereo and now I really can :D!

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You can buy a behringer 2 channel mixer for like $30. Has a headphone jack, aux input(s) etc

Actually sounds quite decent. I have the 12 channel version.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Or you can do what I've done a few time, and run the Line out into the PX4D, and use the speaker sim section to get a full rig kinda tone.

10. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    I just got a Vox Amplug Bass, works very well, can play along to mp3s cds etc. Missing the additional features but 1/3 the price of the Tascam and Korg.

11. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    http://www.universallcd.com/ProductImages/vox/APCR.jpg

It fits in your pocket and cost about 35 bucks. And sounds great through head phones. If you want, there is a place to plug your computer in or your mp3 player and hear it through it also and you can jam along.:)

12. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    [​IMG]
    :D:D

13. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i have a gk mb2-500. although it has a headphone jack, i can't plug my ipod into it. i have a crate power block i bought as a backup to my guitar amps. easier to plug that in then worry about digging out a new tube.

anyway, it works great for a bass practice amp. you can get them for about 100 if you look around.

14. Please do not try to follow this advice. You only have ONE set of ears. Back in the day HIFI amps used a resistor to drop the speaker level to one suitable for use with headphones.

Get a "stereo" phone socket (TRS) and two 1KΩ 5W resistors. Wire one resistor to the tip and the other to the ring. Connect the free ends of the resistors together. your amps speaker output connects to the joined resistors (hot) and the sleeve of your socket (ground). Plugging your headphones into the socket will give you the amps output in both ears at a level that will neither blow your phones nor your ears. You will. of course need to mount this lashup in a small box to prevent shorts.

Paul

15. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with the Korg px4d. I like the versatility of the unit and it seems like the price is getting pretty low on these since the px5d came out. That and being able to play through my car sounds like way too much fun to pass up.

I do have a question about the Vox amPlug and the px4d: Would I be able to hear my bass through both the left and right sides when using these?

16. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Such a shame the LMII just doesnt have the headphones jack. :<

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Or a set of 64 ohms headphones.

18. Still too dangerous IMO. The dropping resistor approach is much safer.

Paul

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

True... but it would've added to the cost and since it's a pro quality head, I'm not sure how many working bassists actually use a headphone out. I know I never do. For example I have not only a headphone out but also a stereo 1/8" with a level control on my iAmp350. I used the stereo in once and it sounded very good through my rig... but it's not something I'd really need, use or better yet miss.
    :cool:

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I dont think so. I havent done the math but that would be around 37 watts dimed. It would be much less likely to have a whooops at that.