Turning my rig into a 350watt CD player...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Loader, Oct 23, 2003.

1. I've just hooked up my 50watt Guitar Amp and my 300watt Peavey Bass amp to my PC... yes, I was very bored.

I've got a crossover sending anything under 750hz into the bass amp, with the guitar amp handling the highs. I'm getting an absolutely amazing sound out of it, with massively punchy lows for obvious reasons.

But I'm worried, am I hurting my amp? I'm not playing at clipping levels, the sound is very clean and crisp and the lights are all green. Has anyone done this before/do this regularly?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Lots of times. Good fun.
  3. I have a Walkman type portable CD player that I plug directly into my SWR IOD instrument jacks. The CD provides background music when the band is taking a break. I run it through a pair of 1x15 subs, a pair of 1x10 JBL E110, biamped with a PLX 3002.

Works ok.

4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Jam On, Brother!
  5. same here, i do it loads of time when i get bored with using ma regular amp and speakers, plug my cd-walkman direct into my 100w bass combo, play a little with the EQ and it blasts :cool: dunno if it's bad, haven't had any problems so far
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've thought about hooking my 1200 watts worth of crown power, and my eden 410xlt into my home theater as a sub. Never had the balls to do so yet, but I bet it would be impressive!
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Tim, the thought of a 1400 watt 4x10 sub is just mind boggling....and kinda scary in a fun sorta way.
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    the thing that has mainly kept me from watching it, is my sattelite speakers are pretty wussified, and seriously doubt they would be able to keep up.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm the guy that my friends call when they're having a party and need a decent sound system. Why? Because just lend em one of my bass amps, a 15" for bass, and a 2x10+horn for mids and highs. I can even double it if I don't need to do a gig on the same night,

Plug a CD player and it's loud and clean. The last few parties have involved a DJ turning up with his own decks and mixer and plugging into my gear. They love it.

It's been working so well I'm actually tempted to buy a DJ mixer and CD players and dry-hiring it our as a complete system. The DJ market is huge over here.
  10. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I just started running my walkman through my ashdown mag400 and 210 cab with tweeter. It sounds great, very fluid and punchy, the tweeter seems to do fine for the highs and the 10's knock you right over.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I've frequently use my Peavy Bass amp for Subwoofing. Good clean sound.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK...so how do you actually do this?? You just plug directly into the input of the amp? Plug into the pre-amp?? I suppose I would need some kind of adapter since the output jacks are way smaller on a walkman than the input on my pre or power amp. How about hooking it directly to the home stereo? Do I go from the speaker out to my power amp to my Eden cab??

I have a BBE383 pre going into a Crown XLS402.

I have never done this before, but now I really wanna try!!

13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    First thing first. Eden cabs don't work too well for this. The first time I tried it I used the 2x10xlt. Great bass cab, hopeless for reproducing recorded music. Which is fine by me because that's not what they were designed to do. It sounded really harsh and no amount of EQing could fix it.

But if you want to try it anyway, yep just get whatever adapters you need. From a CD walkman you'll probably need a 1/8" jack on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other. From the home Hi-Fi it will be RCA on one end instead of 1/8" jack. You may or may not need the preamp depending on how much output your CD player gives out.
  14. I'm soon to be getting a 210 addition, provided I can raise the funds, so I'll try it with that.
    I've heard that tweeters are harmed by distortion, does that mean when the amp clips or when you put forced distortion (pedals, etc) though it?
    What would be the effect of running a very loud metal song through a rig with a tweeter? Any problems?
  15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ah, a good CD player plugged into a big stereo power (once my Mackie, soon to be my new QSC) driving my pair of Acme Low-B2's (up on some big ol' speaker stands of course) = sonic heaven... Best hi-fi I've ever heard!

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Petebass......thank you for the answers. I was hoping to set-up some insanely loud system for all the dudes that drive by my house blasting the 50 Cent, and Jay-Z in their lowrider Hondas!! Hehehe

Even though it won't sound that awesome through the Eden, I still gotta try it now. Just to hear it, you know. :)

17. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    make sure you get a 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono you'll lose the left channel if you dont. Radioshack should be able to hook you up with everything you need.