1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turning off my horn/tweeters was a huge mistake.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jun 20, 2020.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    In an effort to achieve a "warmer" tone I completely turned off the horn(s) on both (of my Avatar B2x10) cabs; and even though I did get closer to the tone I was after using finger style playing, my slap tone suffered A LOT 'cause there was no "sparkle" or "sheen" whatsoever because I completely forgot that I turned off the horns; meanwhile I'm going through strings like crazy trying to get that slap tone that I once had until I realized what I had done months ago and thought 'WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!' Once I turned them Back on, I turned them ALL THE WAY ON :D, and I'm still able to get a warm tone, I just turn down most (90%) of the treble on my Bass(es) and about 3/4 treble on my amp and it sounds even better this way, it has warmth and punch as well as a certain "clarity" to the overall tone, whereas before, the tone was too cloudy, somewhat muddy sounding. So kids, leave your horns on, it makes for a much better overall tone. I don’t think I'll EVER do THAT again ... and that's not saying ALL cabs with tweeters/HF Horns sound better than ones that don't have them, but in the case of mine, the horns are definitely preferred on. OK, I'm done :smug:

TonH and Bassist4Eris like this.
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm strictly a no-tweeters guy, but then I only play fingerstyle and pickstyle. If I ever decide to take up slapping, though, I'll keep this in mind.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

tweeters are good. especially in the cabinets that use them. 'all or none' can be extreme, IME.

per the OP: glad you remembered what you'd done. a lot of us can't say that! :laugh:

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I dont use tweeters. I use an eq pedal for the times I need to slap through an entire song.
    Finger playing is 97% of my playing and I dont want to hear the tweeters for that 97%.

Scott Bland and madjazzbass like this.
  5. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    IF the volume knob(s) were in FRONT of the cabs., It wouldn't have went on that long. :woot:

JRA likes this.
  6. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    I like em full on and EQ to taste, but I also like a LPF around 8-10k to get rid of hiss and other unwanted noises.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021