Turns out my bass rig is a killer acoustic guitar rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    One of the groups I play with is an acoustic based "hillbilly jazz" type group (I play drums.) Our guitarist was using his new CA all composite acoustic electric, and for practice sake he was running through a Fender Hot Rod amp. It sounded pretty harsh. I had my BBE Bmax/Power amp and my Avatar 210 in the car, so I suggested he try that. Turns out that it sounded very clean, and he had alot of control over his sound. He liked it so much, he asked if he could use it at our gig this Friday.
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Bass amps are usually almost PA like in their ability to pull extra duty. My drummer has changed over (almost completely) to a bela fleckesque drum trigger/electric drum head thingamajig (he has dubbed it the "pezitar" due to the peizo elements he put in the drumatar when he built it), and his "drums" sound killer through my EA iamp800/cxl-112. At least far better than through his little practice PA. :D
  3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The guitar itself sounds great acoustically and has a really nice preamp/pickup/internal mic system. When you put it though a 1x12 guitar amp it stinks.
  4. My acoustic sounds great trough my hot rod, nice and warm. Methinks the EQ was messed up.
  5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'll tell you what's really harsh! My father in law's Applause guitar with a drop in Bill Lawrence pickup through a 100 watt Sundown 1x12. He thinks it's cool. Chalkboard/Nails, etc.
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Alot of bass amps can be great for alot of thing. I once had a guitar player plug his Marshall head into this huge Mesa cab I had(15-10-2x5+horn or something like that!) and it absolutely rocked. He never felt the same about his 4x12 again, yea I felt good about it too!!
  7. We had a blues guy with a nice top end ovation playing support for us a while back and he normally went straight through the PA but this time he could not get a decent sound so we tried every amp we had - finally he got a killer sound out of the little Laney Richter 65W bass combo I use for bedroom practice - since then our keyboard player keeps stealing it as well!
  8. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Full range, good tone, lots of power. Why wouldnt it sound great! :D

I love my Ashdown for acoustic guitar. Problem is the only acoustics in the house are my dads, and as a result HE loves my Ashdown for acoustic guitar. :smug:
  9. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Yet another story from my club days. I am running a wireless on the bass. My rig at the time was a Peavey ProBass 1000 preamp. The solid state one with pre/post gain, and a graph, and that is all. That runs some Fender power amp I had. Cabs are a Peavey 1810, and 210TX, with a twist. I run the 2x10 section of the 1810, as well as the 210TX off the full range out of the pre, and the 18" is the low out of the crossover. I am sort of biamped, more like full range + sub. So, we have a single 18", four 10"s and the one tweet in the 210TX. Nice rig. Singer shows up with his "new wireless". Need I say more??

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing a guitar would sound nice through my Eden/Bergantino 12" as well.
  11. americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    A freind of mine's father (check grammar) once told me that this was how they did it back in the day, with an acoustic through a bass amp. A former band mate of mine once explained to me that since the articulation of an acoustic guitar is most similar to human voice, it makes sense to play it directly through the PA. After hearing how horribly sterile and harsh his Ovation sounded through the cheap PA we used to play through, he finally decided to try his acoustic through my bass amp. The sound was rich, round and full so he decided to use a bass amp from then on. I only have a cheap Carlo Robelli acoustic, but I know it sounds a thousand times better through a bass amp than through a guitar amp. I guess it would be safe to rack up another point for bass players on the scorecard that tracks the age-old battle between bassists and guitarists.
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my ex acoustic playing lead singer use to use my old Ashdown monitor style combo as a stage monitor for his Fender acoustic.

I run electrics through my bass rigs all the time
  13. I play a DeNeve resonator (legally & politically correct way of saying a dobro) with a pickup through a Fishman external preamp into my Ashdown Mag 200 115 combo. Great combination and magnitudes better than using my guitar amp.
  14. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I find that mmy small bass rig (avalon u5, power amp, and either aggie 1x12 or ampeg poprtabass 1x10 sounds really really good with my archtop jazzbox--really good.
  15. I'm pretty close to trying my guitar POD XT into the effects return of my GK 700RB-II and then into my Marshall 4x12" cab. I would only be using the GK as a poweramp. I'm hoping that sounds pretty good too!

16. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
  17. The cello/slide guitarist in my band plays his stuff through an old Fender BassMan with a 2x15 cab. He's got a thing for large amps and does'nt mind moving them. I just use a 1x15 for my bass.