Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turntable too slow?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mnadelin, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    My turntable sounds flat, and it sounds like the songs are being played slower. I'm listening to Selling England by the Pound and Peter Gabriel doesn't even sound like Peter Gabriel. This is my dad's turntable and is probably >25 years old. Is there anything I can do to get it in good working condition again?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hmmm, been a while since I had one of those. If it's direct-drive, it's probably the motor gumming up or going south. Belt-drives are easier. Open it up and check the belt. They stretch over time. Clean the spindles and replace the belt.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    If belt drive, clean the belt and give it a little talcomb (sp?)powder or simply replace if it slips. There are also a few rim drive TT's that are driven by a small wheel inside the platter. It could slip there also.
    You may consider a better used TT. The old AR ones are pretty good. I have one sitting on a shelf but it needs a counterweight on the arm.

4. The speed on some of the better ones is adjustable. Mine is and works well. I haven't had to worry about that in so many years that I have forgotten how many of them work.

5. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    For what it's worth, the only adjustments to it I see are an anti-skating thing and a counterweight that can be moved in and out. Can either of these be causing this problem?

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Nope.