Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by grahambo420, May 18, 2003.

1. I've been getting into vinyl lately, which wouldn't be a problem except i'm leaving for college in august, and my dad's turntable stays here in the house, any suggestions on what to buy, or anyone know of any good deals, i'm looking for new, but high quality used would be fine as well, thanks
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you are just listening, than Any run of the mill turntable should be fine. Technics has many great offerings.
    Belt or direct drive, you will still be able to listen just fine.

If you can get turntables with a Straight tone arm, that is beneficial because it requires no set-up or maintenence

I personally have Stanton str8-100s. They are the best turntables I've ever used. They have great tracking, and control, never skip(unless the vinyl is really really scratched) They are digital, so I can plug them into my computer and sound system easily enough. And they can play 33s 45s and 78s.

at $299 they are excellent, but you don't need to spend 300 bucks to get great turntables. Stanton also has great offerings for much lower pricepoints.
  3. thanks, i've been looking at some lower end stanton's and gemini's as well as an RCA model, my dad's is what was a very high end (about 25 years ago) JVC Quartz Locked Fully Automatic, he's just worried that something for $100 or less won't be good
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...If you went to Best buy and got one of those really cheap ones, you would be very dissatisfied.

your dad is right though sub $100 turntables are generally a waste of time.

that is to say, I have yet to see one that is adequately capable.

another thing though. is the stylus and catridge. You can spend 150 bucks on a really good needle, that will greatly improve the sound and playback.

Stanton has some really great economy catridges as well.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're not planning on being a "DJ" your best bet for under $100 is a refurbished Technics table available at www.refurbishedstore.com - click "Audio" then "Audio System" and scroll down to find the Technics SL-BD20D. That's a decent hi-fi turntable for a very good price. As far as budget turntables are concerned, from a hi-fi perspective, there is only one name: Technics.

If you're planning on being a "DJ" then the Numark, Stanton, or Gemini Technics look-alikes would be fine.

Find a place where you can get used records for cheap. Check the local Salvation Army and Goodwill stores for treasures.
  6. I'm partial to Denon turntables.
    Here is a Denon similar to mine, the disadvantage is that they are pretty expensive.
  7. Ahhh, another vinyl convert :D
  8. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Philbiker, thanks for the link.

It's funny, this issue has come up in the last few days on the Mike Watt mailing list, on the Modest Mouse mailing list, here, and at work. Seems that there's a mad rush for turntables all of a sudden.

Now for my question:
    I don't have a receiver. Would this work in the meantime? (It's cheap.)
    RCA SA-155 Integrated Stereo Amplifier
    info here
    Also, could I use that to boost the signal from my amp to my sound card when I want to record stuff?
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That amplifier should work. If it has RCA ins.

Just go direct from the turntable(RCA out) to the amplifier(RCA IN) then to what ever speakers.

but if you intend to have multiple sources for the same set of speakers(CD, tv,computer,vinyl..etc.) a reciever is a must(makes life A LOT easier)
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I was just getting into vinyl couple years back.. And then all the sudden the local used records store decided that vinyls were worth $10-15/piece, instead that $5-10 they were going for before :mad:
  11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i have a denon dp47f like the one pictured with a sumiko pearl cartridge and it sounds great with the system i have in. i would like to get a higher end table eventually though when ever i get around to upgrading my stereo.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My turntable is a Denon DP-7F. A cheap plastic base table that cost me $300 about 10 years ago. It's decent :), but I think that $69 Technics would actually be superior.:mad:

leanne, that integrated amp would be fine, but since it doesn't have a dedicated phono stage you'd need this phono preamp also. It's modestly priced, but well repsected, even by the audiophile wackos at www.audioasylum.com .

Turntables output a very low signal that needs a special preamp. If you plug them into a "CD" input they will be too quiet to hear. The Integrated Amp you're looking at does not have a dedicated "Phono" input.

For the same price of both of those units you could have the Technics SA-EX140 also available refurbished at the above site. I've had very good experience with refurbished electronics, but some people balk at them. Read the information at the site www.refurbishedstore.com , I've had good experience with this particular retailer.

You have speakers, right?

Just re-read your post....

If you're looking to just send the signal to your sound card, all you need is the phono preamp that I mentioned above. Hook the turntable into the phono preamp, then hook the output into the LINE IN on your sound card and you're golden. I hope you have good headphones or speakers attached to your computer.

If you do this, you can add an integraded amp or receiver later easily.

If you get a stereo receiver like the Tehcnics or an integrated amp like the RCA (the only functional difference between the two is that a "receiver" has a built-in radio and an integrated amp does not), you would just hook the "tape out" jack to the LINE IN of your sound card.