Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Turser v.s. OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerRH, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Hello all. I'm interested in buying a Stingray copy of some sort, but i don't know which would be best. I would like your opinions on the Jay Turser 440 and the OLP MM2. They both look about the same, but which is highter quality? Thanks for your input!

2. As an ownder of the Turser 440, I can tell you the body is very light weight. It is prone to dings and nicks, moreso than others IMO. It's very soft wood. The neck is pretty thick, and kinda heavy. This causes some neck dive. Of course there are ways to combat neckdive.

The Turser comes in more colors than the OLP, though. They both sound pretty close to eachother.

The turser is also less expensive.

If I was to buy a new Ray clone, I'd probably go with the OLP over the Turser. I just happened to get a great deal on the Turser wheni got it. Check out my webpage for pics. It's somewhat... um, customized. :D

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    If you can make sure you check out the Slammer by Hamer Stingray clone.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well from my experience with Turser, you'll be kicking yourself for getting it in oh about 3 months. It was my first bass, a P-copy, back when I had no f***ing idea what was good and what was bad, and I regretted it... the neckdive on mine was probably the worst you'll ever see. That may have been because it is a lower model than the one you're looking for... But luckily I sold it and it's out of my life forever. So this is just my opinion, but play the Turser and post it back here, I was curious if all Tursers are top heavy. And speaking of dents and nicks, my pickguard practically lost its natural color, I had a huge dent on the back of it, and the 17-20 fret fingerboard was deformed. Oh yeah and my playing with a pick sratched the area above the pickguard to hell... it was a nice color but very very thin... so approach with caution.

5. The Turser is a "kinda close" Stingray copy.

If you can't read the logo on the headstock, you could be fooled that an OLP MM4 is a Stingray4 with 2-band EQ.

I've got the 5er and it's a respectable axe. Excellent paint finish, doesn't dent or nick easily, everything was put together well, I even took off the neck and checked the neck pocket and while not perfect, it was a lot smoother than any other cheap bass I looked at. (I filed it flatter anyway.)

Sounds great: I play and record with it all the time. Disadvantages: heavy, neck dive -- but that's a Stingray for you.

Only disadvantage is it's made in China so you're supporting dictatorships and slave labor (but so is the Turser, and so are most other cheap basses). I have a DP on the way to assuage my conscience :D

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    OLP follows the MM body style - 4 string body is different than 5 string design. Turser uses the MM 4 string body for both it's 4 string & 5 string MM copies. (if looks are an issue).

The Turser basses can also be found with active preamps (a little more $). No clue how they sound tho.

7. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    OLP Officially Licensed Product put out by MM need you look for more there? i played their guitars and while i haven't touched the bass. i played the OLP axis (VH clone) and i liked it better than the USA axis sitting on the stand right next to it in the sales floor. if the bass plays and is constructed half as well as that guitar. DUDE!! get the OLP.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They are not put out by MusicMan, or in any way affiliated with Ernie Ball. The only relationship is that they have been officially been licensed to duplicate the headstock and body shape.

9. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    ok then my bad. thought i read somewhere they were. if they aren't i'm sorry. i know ppl here are really stiff on ppl that make mistakes on crediting anything to or away from any serious brand name manufacturer. so if OLP is not a subsiderary of MM then i say i'm sorry here and now for saying as such. however they had an MM axis and an OLP "licensed copy" axis side by side and i can say i liked the OLP better. and if the bass is half the quality of the axe i played. you can't go wrong with an OLP bass for the $. and yes i am looking at instrument set up as a factor here. the neck was better in my hand........oh the feel :D i want one and a bass!!!! besides for the money MM wants on anything the neck should have at least felt better in my hand for an MIA high range $$$ instrument. maybe it was a "lemon" from a bunch of GEMS. still for the $$ they want, there shouldn't be any lemons. Yes i know it happen, but still it shouldn't....not that i wouldn't look for an MM if i had the $$$... well anyway this is only MO here. don't take them serious. and again i am sorry about the OLP/MM mixup on my part.