turtle wax!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fat-k, Jun 1, 2005.

1. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    :hyper: I was a little ubsesed with turtle wax for a while and i put some on my bass is that a bad thing or does it matter? thanx :bassist:
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You are screwed, the only way to save your bass is
  3. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003

No but don't forget to armorall the strings and volume/tone knobs. I don't see how turtle wax would be a bad thing except that through prolonged usage you will get a buildup of old wax on the finish. That, plus the fact that wax usually highlights every scratch on the thing. Personally I use a polishing cloth...that's it.
  4. Hopefully you would be playing a Fender painted Daphne Blue, Sherwood Green, Candy Apple Red or the other 1950s and 60s automobile paints that Leo used for his basses. If Turtle Wax works wonders for a 57 Chevy, think how much it would add to your bass. Seriously, I have seen Bob Hoover of Santa Cruz guitars recommend Turtle Wax. You can be sure that anyone whose accoustic guitars range from $3,000 to $10,000 isn't going to recommend something that damages. The other thing to consider is that you are actually playing a Samick! These are great cheap instruments. Part of what makes them great is that you don't have to care for them like I do my Rick Turner. I'm looking for a similar 5 string that I can leave on a stand without having a heart attack every time the 2 year old grandson runs through the living room. Relax, polish it, play it and get a Meguires guitar care kit.
  5. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    yah i no it wasn not the smartest thing i have ever done
  6. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I've always used auto wax on my instruments to polish them. In fact, I just bought a bottle of Eagle One Nano wax just to try it on my Dingwall. Yes, it is going on my car also--I hope it helps it, lol! I also have a bottle of Martin guitar polish, but I haven't used it enough to render an opinion on it. I use lemon oil on my fingerboard, neutral shoe polish on the back of my neck (and also some carnuba wax originally purchased for my pool-stick), and just keep a soft cloth with me for wiping it down after playing and removing fingerprints.

As for your Turtle wax, I don't think you did any harm. The best auto wax I had was one made with carnuba wax, so hopefully this Nano wax will do the trick.

Hmmm, I wonder if Turtle Wax will give you a refund if your bass doesn't repel water after 12 months??? J/K
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The manual for my old '80s Dyna-Bass actually specifically recommended using car wax to buff out scrathes in the finish and care for the finish. You're fine.