Tutorial: How to Install Precision Bass Bridge Cover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by betown, May 3, 2018.

1. betown

betown

Feb 22, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi Guys, I would like to share a tutorial with the community, it's my way to say thank you and give back to this forum. The holes position are based on a picture of the Pino Palladino Precision and precise measured on my American Original 60s Precision, but any same size bridge will do :)

Make sure to print the PDF in a 100% scale, you can always check later with a ruler.

PBBridgeCover01.jpg PBBridgeCover02.jpg PBBridgeCover03.jpg PBBridgeCover04.JPG PBBridgeCover05.JPG

Attached Files:

2. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Nice. Not into ashtrays but for those that are this is pretty cool. Thanks for putting it here.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    betown likes this.
  3. Dwight

Dwight

Apr 9, 2012
    Thanks for posting! Worked like a charm on my LPB '60s AO!

Can you tell me wear the foam pad goes? Thanks!

4. Thank you as well for this :) do you have pdf's, for the pickup cover & tugbar placement?

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Thanks!

Bobby Bass likes this.
  6. x.gr

x.gr

Aug 4, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Thanks a lot betown...exactly what I was looking for!

7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

'78 P-Bass-2.JPG Gee; and I just screwed mine into the existing holes... I kid, I kid. Mine's a '78, so it had the covers from the factory. The original owner - like everybody else - took them off and threw them away. Since I actually use the mute in the bridge cover, I had to get replacements from Fender. That is a very nice tool for basses that don't have the holes, though. Thanks for the post...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. ArtisanLuthiers

ArtisanLuthiers Commercial User

Feb 21, 2019
    Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
    Artisan Luthiers is a guitar repair and maintenance shop in Kennesaw, GA
    Not a fan of the pickup cover but definitely like the look of the bridge cover. It's an easy 10-minute artisan-luthiers-fender-bridge-cover-installation.jpg mod, cost under $20, and gives you that cool vintage style. If you're still working with that bent steel bridge this is a true visual upgrade.

9. Brkls

Brkls

Oct 21, 2018

MANY thanks.
    About to install it :)
    Cheers

Hypercaffium and Bret Music like this.
  10. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Gonna try this on my Jazz, thank you.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Thanks for sharing

But, for those Mim player P or Indo Squier CV P owner who wanna install the bridge cover, please double check the bridge to make sure it is not crooked install or off alignment from factory.

C Stone likes this.
  12. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    What is the weight difference between:

1. Bent Steel bridge
    2. Bent Steel Bridge + Ashtray
    3. Fender Hi Mass Bridge

13. Hey betown... I was wanting to put a bridge cover on my Squier CV 50s P. I'm pretty sure it should work. What size drill bit did you use for the pilot holes? What size srews? Thanks so much for posting the PDF template!

14. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I know this is an old post but I'm installing an ashtray on my p bass so I checked your thread.I'm an old techno-boob so perhaps you can help me.I have pfd for a template for the headstock of a 51' p bass .What puzzles me is how to print it out in the correct size to use to make my headstock shaped like this.

15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Sorry; I'm not going to disassemble my P-Bass just to weigh the bridge and its cover. But, if memory serves; when it was apart? The bridge was pretty light; and, the cover was even lighter. At a guess? Maybe 0.3 kg. together. I'd happily bet on the high mass bridge being heavier than that... In any case, my '78 P-Bass weighs 5.04 kg. anyway; the last thing it needs is a heavier bridge...:cool:

andare likes this.
  16. Thanks for the post! You don't happen to know where I can get similar information for installing a pickup cover for a Squier Classic Vibe 50s P bass, do you?

17. with both my paisley P (51 P style squared) and jaguar (jazz ashtray) I just put the covers on in place, marked the screw holes and used my pin vice/drill to do a pilot hole.... then screwed them down.

C Stone likes this.
  18. Thanks for the direction! Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a "pin vice/drill"... is it a certain type of bit? I was thinking it may be wise to use a punch or awl so the bit won't have a chance to skate when I first start drilling. Thoughts?

19. a pin vice/drill is a small hand drill often used for crafting and model making, its simply a screw threaded chuck with a small bit that you twist with the fingers.

I've never needed a punch, as I normally just press in with the drill and its finger powered so doesn't bounce or skitter.

Attached Files:

Kipp Harrington and C Stone like this.
  20. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Excellent point! I dont really use templates for that reason. I have seen sooo many bridge covers, (P's and J's) that used the existing bridge that was a "little off" as a reference and are now installed crooked. Cool of the OP to make a template available for those that need one though. :thumbsup:

Kipp Harrington and Yahboy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022