1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tutti...Solo...vn concerto

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by foilracer, May 1, 2009.

1. foilracer

foilracer Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hello Mr. Neher, my question comes from the Brahms Concerto for violin & orchestra in D. In the DB part I understand "Tutti" to mean "all play" the written bass part.
    When the word "Solo" appears in the bass part does that indicate where the violin is playing 'solo' or does it indicate
    for only 'one' bass to play?...or only one 'desk' to play?
    (two basses). The community orchestras I have worked with
    in the past have not received instruction from the conductor or the "violin soloist" about this and consequently usually all the basses always play "Solo & Tutti" sections. Thank you....foilracer

2. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    If your publication is the standard Boosey edition, the tutti and solo markings are ini reference to the entire orchestra and the violin solo. There are no solos for the principal bassist nor for the section. In this particular publication the solo and tutti markings are so that you know when not to play loudly and when to play full - with the rest of the orchestra. In other music, these markings DO indicate a solo (a single player) and tutti (the entire bass section). So, you are good to question. Also in the Brahms publications are problems with octave displacement... sometime the doubling of the cello line becomes unison. It should stay doubled and the basses need to play the lower octave, usually below E (so a five string or extension is used). AND if you are reading off of Oscar Zimmerman edited orchestral parts, be sure to note that many markings, bowings, etc. are Oscar's not Brahms' They need to be re-assessed for today's more contemporary interpretations, and the finer abilities of today's players.
    Best!
    PN

3. foilracer

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Wow! Quick and consise ...Thank you....

My part simply says "Luck's Music Library"..

is that B & H or ? My guess is "no", as this part is
    "Kontrabass" only.

foilracer

4. foilracer

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Wow! Quick and concise ...Thank you....

My part simply says "Luck's Music Library"..

is that B & H or ? My guess is "no", as this part is
    "Kontrabass" only.

foilracer