1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuxedo "Necked" jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbyrd2200, Mar 12, 2013.

1. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

Aug 31, 2009
    Boston
    Hey guys, I always thought a tuxedo jazz bass was just a black jazz bass with a white pickguard but some guy told me that a "Tuxedo-Necked" Vintage Jazz bass could pull about $2500 MORE than a non "Tuxedo-Necked" jazz bass. Is this guy talking out his ass? I've spent hours now trying to find out what he means and I still have no clue.

2. Maple fretboard with black blocks??

3. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

Aug 31, 2009
    Boston
    If that's the case then I'm even more confused. The discussion was brought up about a 1969 jazz bass for sale. Aren't all original 1969 jazz bass necks tuxedoed then? (assuming that pearl on rosewood is also tuxedo) Maybe he should have said a non tuxedoed neck will run the bass $2500 less.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    This is a "Tuxedo Bass"

r469bd.

5. oleskool

oleskool

Sep 27, 2011
    Detroit, Mi.
    72 Jazz Bass maple neck black binding and black blocks.

6. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    it may just be a term that hes made up, ive been playing jazz basses for 16 years and ive never heard of a tuxedo jazz bass.. he may be talking nonsence..

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I've never heard that term at all, but I'd guess that he's talking about binding and blocks, I think those started showing up on jazz basses around '68. This is a pic of a '69:

Fender69Jazz016.