1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuxedos

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Looks like I might be doing some black tie gigs this year. In the past, I rented a tux, but now I'm considering buying one. Anyone else do formals and own a tux? Does anyone know a good source for cheap tuxedo?

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Last time I had to rent one, they had them for sale for $75 or so. Have to include alterations, shoes, and other accessories in the total cost, of course. Check the mall for rental places, or Mens Wearhouse.

3. eBay, hands down.

I started with one, but after I found out how cheap and easy it was to find them on eBay, I'm up to three or four now, all kinds of accessories, patent leather shoes, gloves, spats, top hats.

Many tux rental companies across the nation periodically purge their inventory to make room for "this year's model," and list their stuff on eBay. Unless you have to be cutting edge, you can find a lot of nice classic timeless stuff dirt cheap. It's all been dry cleaned and in excellent condition, because it was only worn for a season or two. Some of this stuff is the high end designer labels as well, real quality.

I'm 6'4" and I never have any trouble finding tons of tux stuff that's fits me perfectly. I even bought a couple of short-wasted "country cut" tux jackets that I wear for bar gigs.

Good luck with it.

4. Ask at you local rental shop - they should have a good used ones for cheap and they can fit it for you.

5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    My oldies group ordered white jackets off ebay. I think they were $89 each a few years ago. You can get tuxedo shirts, ties, cumber buns, buttons, etc. just about anywhere. Cheap black pants and voila, you're James Bond.

classics_zpseb2dd543.

They came with matching pants. Great for disco.

3117f075.

They are Giorgio Fiorelli. Say it with an Italian accent and it sounds real fancy.

For a black tux I took the stripes off my airline jacket when I quit flying and use the same shirt and pants.

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. Buying suits off of the internet may work for some, but I'd be nervous that it wouldn't fit properly. You can get a shirt, studs and cufflinks while you're at the shop.

7. This is a good point.

I am a true 44L off the rack 98% of the time. That allows me the luxury to shop via internet and not waste time and money in the process.

If you're a difficult fit, best to do it in person.

8. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    [​IMG]

You're welcome.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I pieced out my Jos A. Banks wool jacket and bottoms on Ebay for less than $50. They key is knowing what size you wear within reason. You can always get it altered.

10. I bought a tuxedo from a tux+suit liquidation/overflow store. The jacket, shirt, pants, vest, bow tie, suspenders, cuffs, handkerchief, and shoes were like $105 pre-tax. I upgraded the vest, and bought some new shoes, without them the pre-tax price was like $90. Very affordable.

11. Well, if I could see it, I'd offer a belated thank you. But it's not there chief.

12. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    I tried to hotlink to a picture of a tuxedo t-shirt but it didn't work so JOKE OVER. :(

13. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    black-tuxedo-shirt-lg.

oh hey i figured it out

HERE YOU GO MR. JIVEJONG THANK ME LATER THE LADIES WILL THINK YOU ARE ASIAN JAMES BOND

14. Go to the rental place, buy a used one cheap.

15. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I used to wear tuxes for my wedding/event photo & video job. I was able to get a tux pretty reasonably. They're not super expensive. Going to a rental shop for a used one is probably your best route.

Go for something classic looking. With a tux that's really not that difficult. But if your formal band is working with a specific look, then you're locked into that. Keeping it classic looking makes it simple for everyone in the band.

If you start doing formal gigs on a regular basis? I'd recommend having at least 2 tux shirts or more.

16. Khosan Road, Bangkok. Cheap like ... borscht?

Well, lots of Hong Kongers vacation in Thailand and while there get tailored suits made and have their teeth fixed.

Fly to Bangkok. Hit the tailors and get measured. See some sites/sights. Connect to Phuket or favoured beach destination for a few days or a week. Get back to Bangkok for flight out of Thailand and hit the tailor to pick up the suit(s) and last, hit the Western-trained cheap-as-borscht dentist.

Hong Kong's known for its tailors, too, but more expensive than Thailand.

YMMV (Your Money May Vary), YAMMV (Your Air Miles May Vary),
    FF

17. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I got my jacket at a regional vintage/thrift store chain (Ragstock) for $15, and just needed to alter the sleeves at my tailor for another $15. Already had the tux pants, but could have gotten a pair there as well. I recommend getting anything like that dry cleaned as well before wearing out.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should be playing a Carlo Robelli bass in your Giorgio Fiorelli trou.

19. noiseguy

noiseguy

Apr 1, 2013
    Most important part of suit fit is your tailor.

Get the jacket to fit chest size (measure around your chest, usually 38"-48"), and the waist close (+/- 2" typically) and the tailor will fit the rest.

Cheap off-the-rack suit fitted will always win in appearance over expensive off-the-rack with no alterations.

Do yourself a favor and buy 100% wool, or if poly mixed in, no more than ~20%. 100% wool suits don't cost that much more (if any more at all) and wear a lot better.

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA