1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TV Jones Pickup question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cmprock, Dec 27, 2016.

1. cmprock

cmprock

May 28, 2010
    Hello All! So I just received this marvelous custom-made bass... made by Jake Serek...and it has TV jones thunder tron pickups installed... they sound good, but not really my thing, or what I am used to. I am used to more of the music man style hum buckers... (reverend, Warwick double buck.. etc) I find them to be easier to cut through a mix and overall a bolder sound. The TV Jones pick ups or rather unique and size I notice and wondering if all you wonderful bass players know of any other options I may have . They are soap bar shape. And to give you a full disclosure I am a guitar player primarily, so forgive the fact that this question maybe a little silly to some ha ha. I get a guitar player pass lol

Thanks in advance....

Attached Files:

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I think those are the same size as P90 pickups. As far as I know only TV Jones makes bass pickups that size but I'm sure Bartolini or Duncan could make custom pickups for you. TV Jones does offer several different bass pickups in that size. It looks like you have Thundertrons, they also have blade and split coil versions:

http://www.tvjones.com/uploads/6/6/9/7/66975313/1467152480.png

http://www.tvjones.com/uploads/6/6/9/7/66975313/1467153206.png

There are also some guitar pickups that might work (Barden P90s) but who knows how they would sound.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Nothing to contribute other than to say the love the styling on your bass... Very nice!

-robert

4. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    I happen to love the Thundertrons, so I would recommend you hang with those and find out what they want to give you.

The bridge unit soloed has a terrific burn, depending on where it's placed of course. Remember that a MM pickup doesn't sound like a MM pickup if it's not in the MM place. Looks to me like your pickups are placed like a Ric. I would be fooling with Ric tones to see what that instrument really wants to give you.

ps. Great looking instrument.

BassmanM likes this.
  5. cmprock

cmprock

May 28, 2010
    Thanks ton! All three of you! I didn't realize the placement was part of the MM sound. Duh! Makes sense....(told ya, guitar player here!)

I've indeed learned that they are a p90 guitar pickup size, so options appear to be extremely limited.. if there are any at all.

I'll try to work with them a bit more.. or maybe try the thundermags from TV Jones...or perhaps a preamp pedal of some sort. Thanks again!

6. cmprock

cmprock

May 28, 2010
    Oh.. by the way... the Serek Bass is awesome! Super great build...its an awesome instrument in every way. Very unique, and super playable. Balances perfectly! And Jake Serek is a mad cool guy. Highly recommended a look.

7. cmprock

cmprock

May 28, 2010
    Supreme thanks to all who offered thoughts. I'm going to mod the bass for a series/parallel option. I'm told the series thing adds a mountain of muscle. Stay tuned...