TV Jones Thunder'Tron Into Gretsch G2220?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnMalay, Mar 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JohnMalay

JohnMalay Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Anyone know if these will fit without modification to the body cavities?

The stock pickups are Gretsch Mini-Humbuckers.

2. DECEMBER

DECEMBER

Jul 14, 2021
    This info is impossible to find! The pickups will fit in the cavities, but they won't fit the stock pickup rings. Thundertrons are the same size as Filter'Trons and from the measurements I was given for the pickup rings that come with the Filter'Trons, it looks like the mounting screws will be going in very near the edge of the pickup cavity, which could splinter the wood.
    I think I'm gonna take a chance on the Filter'Trons because I really need some better pickups in my G2220.

3. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I dropped a Thunder'Tron into the neck position on mine and the pickup cavity was not a problem. I did have to spend some time adjusting the original ring to fit. For those who are reluctant to put 2 expensive pickups in a relatively cheap bass, I am very pleased with the results from replacing just the neck pickup. I also installed 500k pots. It gives me a nice full range rock tone without having to adjust my amp EQ from where I like it for my Pbass. 250k pots would probably be a better choice for a warmer tone.

DECEMBER likes this.
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Contact TV Jones. They are the experts and can tell you exactly what you need.