Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TV show about a man and his bass

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by travatron4000, Jan 27, 2004.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    An older lady from my Native American Flute class today told me about a short lived TV Show from, she thinks, the 70's. She said that it stared a bass player and always showed him carrying his DB around. Being born in 1983 I don't have a clue. I was wondering if anyone else did.

Thanks,
    Travis Burleson

2. If it's the one I'm thinking of... the opening credits showed him hauling his DB to a rehearsal and pulling it out of the back of a pickup he had hitch-hiked in? What was that show? I seem to recall it wasn't much about him being a bass player though.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  4. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks,
    That page said that it only aired for about 3 and a half months. I wonder how that lady remembered that show. I don't suppose you know where a clip of the show would be?

Trav

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Follow this link :

http://freespace.virgin.net/j.tavare/biog.html

Jim Tavaré

Known throughout the world as
    The Comic With The Double Bass.

Versatile comedian who transcends mainstream and alternative comedy.
    'The modern day Victor Borge of the double bass'

Jim's unique brand of humour have landed him appearances on three Royal Variety Performances.

Prince Charles favourite comedian
    In December he entertained Prince Charles, his sons and personal staff at The Ritz then in June 2000 the Prince and Camilla Parker Bowles invited him to perform at Highgrove for the King Of Greece' 60th birthday. Among the guests were HM The Queen and thirteen crowned heads of Europe!

Disillusioned with career as orchestral bass player a friend suggested he move from the pit to The Comedy Store. Five years later.....

[​IMG]
    In the USA his act caught the attention of Hollywood script writers after an appearance at the Montreal Comedy festival. An episode of Wings (NBC/Paramount) was subsequently written around Jim's act. His profile in the States has been further established by appearances on Evening At The Improv, Carolines Comedy Hour, Showtime Montreal Gala, and Just For Laughs. In 1997/98 He appeared in 26 episodes of The Comedy Network (Channel 5).

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Jim Tavare is one the finalists on Last Comic Standing. He's very funny and the bass is prominent in his act.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Wow - 4 years for a reply!! :p

8. Bruce Lindfield

And they say the DB side is slow...!!?? ;)

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Yeah. It takes quite a while to get through all of those technique debates.