1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tweakability

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Apr 11, 2002.

1. i really have NO IDEA about the pups and electronics of a bass so could you please answear these questions for me

the bass i'm getting will be a 6-string, i will be playing just about every style of music on it so i want the most versatile pups and electronics you can get, wot do you think is the best combo to get?

i love tweaking the sound on basses so prefferably (sp?) one with LOTS of knobs and switches

i really don't care/know what the shapes/makes are, so any suggestions welcome

l8rz

Tom

P.S. i did a search and couldn't find any usefull info

2. c'mon..... someone PLEASE answear this, u must know of some p'ups and electronics that are versatile and tweakable

l8rz

Tom

3. :confused: there are LOADS of experienced people here who have played lots of diffeerent basses, so some of you must have some ideas, so why aren't you posting then here :confused:

c'mon, tell me, you know you want to ;)

l8rz

Tom

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Bartolini Triple Coil Soapbars, (2) with a 4 Way switch for each one.
    Wired:
    Series,Parallel,Single Coil Neck, Single coil Bridge.

Electronics:
    Bartolini NTSMB2 or NTMB18 with 3 Position Midrange Switch. 3 Band EQ.

To that, add a Piezo Pickup Bridge with buffered PAN for mixing with the Magnetic Pickups.

The Pickup placing is very important. The Outer Coils must be in exact J-Bass Position.

5. um.........i think i get it :)

couple of questions tho:

1. "Series,Parallel,Single Coil Neck, Single coil Bridge"

is that for each p'up or is it 1 switch for the 2 of them

2. "To that, add a Piezo Pickup Bridge with buffered PAN."

how much (approx) would this cost? do you know a site with info/pics on them?

3. "The Outer Coils must be in exact J-Bass Position."

i dont understand :rolleyes:

4. would i have to do all of the wiring myself or do they sell them partly wired? i'm ok at soldering it's just i wouldn't know where all the wires go

thanks for any more help

l8rz

Tom

P.S. thank you for replying in the 1st place 'cos i really needed some info
    :D

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1)The Switches are for Each Pickup, and then this outputs would go to a Blend pot. (Or 1 3 Way Switch)

2)Price of the Piezo´s? I dont know.

3) Exact J-Position refers to the position of the Pickup relative to the Nut. The sound of a pickup is extremely affected by its position.
    I prefer that position because it adds a lot of different tones to the bridge pickup between the 2 single coil settings. It doesnt affect the neck pickup much on that, but its just a rule of thumb.

4) You will have to do the wiring, that btw, is not standard. Or you can pay someone to do it.

Are you designing a Bass to be made or what?

7. i'm making the body of a bass myself

i'm buying everything else, and the neck will probably be made by a local luthier, he is highly reccomended so he seems like a good choice

again i'm confused by the J-p'up positioning idea.
    the soapbars are about twice as thick as Js so were do you measure to?

thanx again (boy this is getting repetative:D )

l8rz

Tom

P.S. i'm really interested with the piezo suggestion. do you know where i can get any info on it?

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I said "THE OUTER COILS MUST BE IN EXACT J-BASS POSITION"

Each Pickup has 2 real coils and a dummy coil.
    so divide the size of the pickup by 2.. then the outer part must be in exact J-Position.

9. oh! i see now!

sorry, a bit slow :rolleyes:

thanx

l8rz

Tom