Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tweakability

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Apr 11, 2002.

1. i really have NO IDEA about the pups and electronics of a bass so could you please answear these questions for me

the bass i'm getting will be a 6-string, i will be playing just about every style of music on it so i want the most versatile pups and electronics you can get, wot do you think is the best combo to get?

i love tweaking the sound on basses so prefferably (sp?) one with LOTS of knobs and switches

i really don't care/know what the shapes/makes are, so any suggestions welcome

l8rz

Tom

P.S. i did a search and couldn't find any usefull info

2. c'mon..... someone PLEASE answear this, u must know of some p'ups and electronics that are versatile and tweakable

l8rz

Tom

3. :confused: there are LOADS of experienced people here who have played lots of diffeerent basses, so some of you must have some ideas, so why aren't you posting then here :confused:

c'mon, tell me, you know you want to ;)

l8rz

Tom

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Bartolini Triple Coil Soapbars, (2) with a 4 Way switch for each one.
    Wired:
    Series,Parallel,Single Coil Neck, Single coil Bridge.

Electronics:
    Bartolini NTSMB2 or NTMB18 with 3 Position Midrange Switch. 3 Band EQ.

To that, add a Piezo Pickup Bridge with buffered PAN for mixing with the Magnetic Pickups.

The Pickup placing is very important. The Outer Coils must be in exact J-Bass Position.

5. um.........i think i get it :)

couple of questions tho:

1. "Series,Parallel,Single Coil Neck, Single coil Bridge"

is that for each p'up or is it 1 switch for the 2 of them

2. "To that, add a Piezo Pickup Bridge with buffered PAN."

how much (approx) would this cost? do you know a site with info/pics on them?

3. "The Outer Coils must be in exact J-Bass Position."

i dont understand :rolleyes:

4. would i have to do all of the wiring myself or do they sell them partly wired? i'm ok at soldering it's just i wouldn't know where all the wires go

thanks for any more help

l8rz

Tom

P.S. thank you for replying in the 1st place 'cos i really needed some info
    :D

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1)The Switches are for Each Pickup, and then this outputs would go to a Blend pot. (Or 1 3 Way Switch)

2)Price of the Piezo´s? I dont know.

3) Exact J-Position refers to the position of the Pickup relative to the Nut. The sound of a pickup is extremely affected by its position.
    I prefer that position because it adds a lot of different tones to the bridge pickup between the 2 single coil settings. It doesnt affect the neck pickup much on that, but its just a rule of thumb.

4) You will have to do the wiring, that btw, is not standard. Or you can pay someone to do it.

Are you designing a Bass to be made or what?

7. i'm making the body of a bass myself

i'm buying everything else, and the neck will probably be made by a local luthier, he is highly reccomended so he seems like a good choice

again i'm confused by the J-p'up positioning idea.
    the soapbars are about twice as thick as Js so were do you measure to?

thanx again (boy this is getting repetative:D )

l8rz

Tom

P.S. i'm really interested with the piezo suggestion. do you know where i can get any info on it?

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I said "THE OUTER COILS MUST BE IN EXACT J-BASS POSITION"

Each Pickup has 2 real coils and a dummy coil.
    so divide the size of the pickup by 2.. then the outer part must be in exact J-Position.

9. oh! i see now!

sorry, a bit slow :rolleyes:

thanx

l8rz

Tom