1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tweakin' the Muff'n

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EricF, Apr 11, 2006.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My current hunt for my "perfect" OD tone has lead me to give the EH English Muff'n a run - I have a fondness for the tone of overdriven tubes. In stock configuration, the 12AT7 tubes in the Muff'n offer a range of sonic options from clean tubey warmth to full-on fuzzed-out dirt. Despite much knob tweaking, I just wasn't finding the tone that made me go, "Yeah, baby!" As an experiment, I dug through the parts box and found a pair of fairly new Fender/Groove Tube 12AX7s, and installed them in the Muff'n. Ah-ha!! The "TONE"!!! With the gain dialed at about 50%, I'm getting a lovely smooth OD with lots of grind without being too over-the-top-fuzzy. The higher gain of the 12AX7s, but lower gain setting on the pedal, has turned out to be a great combination.

In the future, I may experiment with a set of lower-gain 12AU7s and push them harder.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    On mine now, I run all the knobs at max (except the master volume ;) ), and push it a little harder with the boost on my wah (set to max as well of course :D ) . Cus of the 250Hz mid boost from the wah it all sounds pretty sweet IMO. Even sweeter when I run a fuzz into the wah, well distortion-wise anyway... Can't wait till I can get the MXR Blowtorch and bring back all of the bass! :bassist:

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I have heard of Muff mods where you throw a tube in there...

I have a Big Muff (Russian big green vintage one) and want to do a tube mod... I have heard of it being done but schematics are a no show anywhere.

Anyone have schematics for throwing tubes in there? Does the English Muff have a tube in it already?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    The English Muff'n and a Big Muff are totally different pedals. And yes, the English Muff'n does come with a tube built in.

Anyway, I've never heard of a Big Muff tube mod... Try searching Google though, maybe you'll get something.

-Dash

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    No dice on the google search...

I heard of a custom pedal job that is called a "bigger muff" when I was all into the band koRn and they used this pedal which was just a concaction of crap (Big Muff and a Tube) on a wood board.

It was used during their first 2 albums when they were good. and recorded by Ross Robinson at Indigo

Seplatura mentions it in an interview:
    "Especially for the single notes - which we used a lot for the guitars on this album - it makes them more fat," Andreas says of the special effect. "It's noisier, but it's a controlled noise."

That is about all I get out from google.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
  7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I felt quite the contrary. I remember that the info used to say either a 12AX7 cascading into a 12AY7 or vice versa. And got both 12AY7's.

I swapped them for 12AU7's from my Hammond organ and the tone was a little tame. Tried with a pair of 12AX7's I had laying around and it was a tad over the top, so I put the Sovtek 12AY7's back in and felt it was best here.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I guess that's one of the really excellent things about the English Muff'n - swapping tubes to get the tone exaclty right for what each of us likes. Combining 1 each of a U, Y, T or X tube wouldn't be out of the question either.

9. what tubes worked best? gave a realy killer sound? i have been thinking about getting an english muffin for a while now.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Some like the 12AX7's, some like the 12AY7's. Maybe one of each? Don't forget different brands have different tonal tendencies as well.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    *DING* tplyons nails it - I like Xs, he likes Ys. It all depends on what your definition of "a really killer sound" is. Tubes are pretty cheap and really easy to swap out on the Muff'n.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    XX or XY, which do you like? ;)

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I think that's a topic for another forum. ;)

14. lol, great joke, xx for me, duno in tubes