Tweaking the sound of a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stevensivak, Jan 13, 2015.

1. stevensivak

stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    60th anniversary P-Bass looking for that simple deep sound from the early 60's.

What pick-ups will get me there in a hurry?

thanks!!!

2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    BRAND NEW DR Hibeams, Seymour Duncan Spb-3. Crank your bass and treble and cut all the mids from 300-1200HZ. AND you MUST MUST MUST carve the pbass into a tear drop shape like geddy lee did, percisely to emulate the tone of the early 60s on some of his songs.

Joke, please DO NOT DO THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just throw some flatwounds on (ghs, labella, fender, d'addario, your pick) and set it up the way you like. Either palm mute with a pick or stuff some foam under the strings to help with that muted thump you hear.

celticafro, Surly, JakeyBran and 5 others like this.
  3. stevensivak

stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    saw that foam trick.....! goes a long way- thanks///

MicG likes this.
  4. FitzFitz

FitzFitz

Oct 14, 2014
    Fox Valley, WI
    Im planning on getting a set of Seymour Duncan spb-1's for my p bass. Ive heard good things about them. Theyre supposed to replicate the classic p bass sound pretty well.

5. stevensivak

stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    The Nordstrom NP-4????

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    EMG Geezer is my choice.

MDBass, lazarusdoom, Thisguy and 5 others like this.
  7. FitzFitz

FitzFitz

Oct 14, 2014
    Fox Valley, WI
    Hey Jimmy, I meant to ask you on my older thread. You said you preferred the EMG Geezer over the spb-1's. How exactly do they compare?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't think I said that since I said I never actually played a bass with an SPB-1. What I said is I am told by those who played both is that the SPB-1 and Geezer sound very similar but the midrange content of the SPB-1 is slightly less prominent than the Geezer. Now with that information, I probably would still prefer the Geezer since its mids are very unique and cool, but I would still dig the SPB-1, I'm sure, and maybe for some things even prefer it.

9. Gotta agree with JimmyM on this one.

The Geezer P pickup is fantastic, though you may be the first person I've seen that wasn't happy with the stock pickup in the 60th. I love mine.

10. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    In fact, that foam chunk is my favorite effect unit for bass. Works even on a Jazz bass.

Best
    Sidecar

11. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    Is it possible that the OP has a different model Precision which just happened to be made in 2011 and therefore has the "Precision Bass: 60 Years" neck plate and stickers? I have a 2011 Hwy One Precision from that year and I'm in the middle of a replacement project as well. :)

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and SJB-1 are often overlooked, not as cool or trendy as others. That's is a shame as they really are good pups IMO.

13. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Geezer all the way, but perhaps, before that, better to try strings, technique, etc first?

wisconsindead and themarshall like this.
  14. stevensivak

stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    technique? what's that?

15. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    I play both. With flats, I prefer the SPB-1. With rounds or GHS Pressure Wounds, I prefer the Geezer. I suppose if I were forced to choose only one, it'd be the Geezer, even with flats.

16. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Flats or dead nickel rounds, play towards or over the end of the neck or palm mute, and dig in (I don't think "light touch" was a thing yet in the early 60's). If non of that satisfies, try a different pickup.

Oh, and in the TB tradition of "name yer favorite", a wilde/lawrence P46.

bluesdogblues likes this.
  17. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Light touch definitely was a thing in the 60's. Jamerson and Carol Kaye were the earliest light-touchers.

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Doesn't that bass come stock with the Fender Original Precision ("vintage") pickup? If so that pickup sounds as fat and warm as anything on the market. Try flats and a mute and forget the pickup swap -- it's a waste of money. Maybe use the cash for something like a VT pedal. Also, what amp are you using?

Terracite and peterpalmieri like this.
  20. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Nordstrand Vintage P is one of many excellent choices. Just installed a NP5V in a bass and it is very smooth, buttery, deep and fat.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021