Tweeter bypass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HassBacker, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Has anyone bypassed their 410's crossover and run just the 10's full range? If so, what was the result? An improvement, detriment or no difference? Personally, my tweeter is practically off anyway.
  2. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I can do that with my GK 2001RB.I can mute the horn at will with my footswitch and set the 4-10's to be crossed over or not with a button on the amp.I usually leave the 10's full range and if I want to get a little less high end I mute the horn.It sounds really good for certain parts of songs when I want to be a little more mellow.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It doesn't make too much of a difference in most cases. Most speakers are crossed over at or near the frequency at which they start to roll of anyway. Eg if it's crossed over at 5k, that's probably because the speaker doesn't do a great job of reproducing frequencies above 5k.

Try it, it cant hurt. You might like it.
  4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I notice a difference when I switch from the 10's being crossed over to running full range.I like them better full range, even with the tweeter on.......
  5. Yes, I acctually did this. I have two Ampeg SVT 410 HLF's. It started out as just unhooking the horn and seeing how it sounded. That was until I saw Ampeg's great idea of good wire. A 1000 watt cab with 20 awg aluminum wire, yikes!

So anyway, I took the circut boards out, I had to leave the antennuator in because of the hole in the plate and then I replaced the connectors with one 1/4 and two four pins. Next I hardwired (solder) 14awg high strand copper wire to the connectors and to the speakers (yes I soldered on the speakers-BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!) Make sure you rewire it right, mine were the same to keep it four ohm. I threw my SVT CL on them and man what a difference!! The speakers hit the high stuff just fine and even sound really good with my Cirrus 6er pluged in. The horns are still in them because of the hole but they are useless.

If you know what you are doing, I suggest trying it. They are louder, cleaner, deeper and just move more air. If you have a question please ask-
  6. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I was thinking about rewiring my Peavey 410TX. The wires in there are probably 18awg with spade connectors. I've already bypassed the crossover and it sounds so much better than it did before. I've still got the tweeter attached though. I leave it turned up about half-way.
  7. Man i was just thinking of this topic this morning. My Eden manuals suggest I can simply take out the "fuse" (which is a light bulb) to bypass the tweeter completely. I've just been too lazy to try it ... I run my cabs with the tweeters set to flat anyhow, as I remember hearing somewhere that it was bad to turn them all the way down without bypassing them.
  8. Thanks for all the replies. A schematic of the crossover would come in handy, but I"ll take the plate off and have a look. Cheers