Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tweeter/cab help...buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, Mar 22, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I need some help. My two new Aguilar GS112s have started having a buzz on almost any note I play (but especially low notes). I have the cabs hooked up to my Carvin R600 head running in bridge mode putting 300W into each cab (due to the load being 4 ohms). This setup has worked gret up until now. I usually have the tweeter attenuators set to about 1/4 the level and I don't "crank" my amp (I normally have it set about on vol level 2). Now no matter where I set the tweeter attenuator on either cabinet I get a buzz (almost rattle-like kind of like playing a kazoo)when notes are played, unless I turn it completely off (then it sounds fine). I have emailed Aguilar, but haven't gotten a response yet. I also have taken one of the tweeters out and looked at the diaphram and it does not appear to be blown or have any problems.
    I am usually very gentle with my Cabinets. I used them on a gig a few weeks ago and in the studio just last week (very low volume recording). I am looking for any ideas as to why there is a buzz in both? could the crossovers not be working (on both?) Could some sort of baffleing have come loose when I moved them from the studio? could the weather have an impact? I also tested the cabinets individually using the bi-amp of my amp and with multiple cables and basses and they buzz then too (maimly with the Low E string) and I have tried varying the input gain and EQ.
    Please give any advise on what you think might be going on.
    Thanks,

-KB

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am beginning to think that it is a problem with the amp and not the cabinets. I think that 1/2 of the head my have an issue. It is a Carvin R600 head. It seems to buzz when I put the cabinets in bridge mode and run through the bridge outputs. If I put the cabinets in bi-amp mode, but in " full range" I seem to remember that the buzzing occurred on 1 amp side and not the other. I may open my amp head tonight to see if something has come loose, otherwise I may ship it back to Carvin (just barely under warranty) to see if they find anything. But then I will be headless for a while :(.
    I am going to do some more investigating tonight to see what I can find out. has anyone ever opened their Carvin head?

-KB

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Turns out that 1/2 of my Carvin amp is fried. A capacitor on the power amp was loose (I saw it very obviously when I opened the amp) and it was fuzzing out that 1/2 of the amp. I thought their amps were supposed to be fairly sturdy. Luckily I am in my very last month of the 1 year warranty so I shipped it out to them today. The sad news is that I am going to be without my amp for about 3-4 weeks, but at least the good news is that it is under warranty (just barely) and it will either get fixed or replaced instead of me having to fork over more money for a new amp head. Also good news that my new Aguilar speakers are OK and not the problem.
    I hope it comes back by April 24 (my band's next show) and I guess I'll have to practice with my band using my guitarists back up amp (played at low volumes so not to blow it).

-KB

4. Good thing you were under warranty.My R1000s preamp has a mild distortion buzz on the input no matter if I use the active or passive input or if the gains are turned all the way down.Carvins charge for getting the R-600/1000s back to spec is about $160+shipping,so you saved a couple hundred bucks.Mines a series 2 thats almost three years old and this is the first problem I've had with it.I use a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI into the effects loop as a preamp so I'm going to let the preamp slide for a while.
    I'm thinking of going to the same speaker set up as you(2 Aguilar 112s).How would they do in a halfway loud blues band?I'm using 2 Eden 210xlts now and most of the time I only need one.My back is giving me trouble so so I need to go lighter.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You will have no problems with volume. The Aguilar 112s are very loud and have a nice low mid punch with some good warmth (I only put my volume on 2 and they really punch through). they work well with the Carvin head and they are easy to transport (the main reason I got them as I used to have a Carvin 2x10 and 1x15...but the transport of those cabinets was killing my back).
    I just hope Carvin fixes my amp quickly becuase i hate to be without an amp for so long.

-KB