1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tweeter Control for MB 104HR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by txl, May 5, 2010.

1. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    I recently got a used MB 104HR for my LMIII, but I have not much idea for the knob for adjusting the tweeter.

As I turn it anti clockwise, the sound seems more muddy, is that remain it to 0 in order to get a punchier sound?

2. Hello,

The tweeter knob you are talking about is called a tweeter attenuater. Think of it simply as a volume knob for the tweeter, which is the small speaker that is crossed over so that it amplifies frequencies that are too high for the drivers (in your case, the four 10" speakers) to reproduce.

If you turn the control all the way down, then the tweeter is functionally off, and you are just hearing the drivers. If you turn it all the way up, the tweeter will typically be way to loud and out of balance, since tweeters typically have higher SPL (louder) than the drivers.

So, assuming you want a full range tone, most find that, with most cabs, a setting on the tweeter attenuator between 9 o'clock and noon results in the best balance and tone.

Just experiment with it, trying it at different settings. Also, remember that it is the treble control on your amp that will most impact what is coming out of the tweeter. A little bit goes a long way!

Edit: Also, remember that the 'flat' setting on your LMII is with the four tone controls at noon, and the two filters (VLE and VPF) all the way off. You will find that the VLE filter works quite similarly to the tweeter control knob, rolling off upper treble as you turn it up (and rolling off a lot lower frequencies as you contine to crank it for a more 'old school' tone). You will also notice that the VPF will impact what comes out of the tweeter, since it not only boosts deep bass and cuts mids, but also boosts the very upper treble response. Again, a little goes a long way with both of those filters.

3. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    Thanks for the detail explanation.
    Thats what I know about the tweeter control also. But this one seems a bit different with previous cabs I own.

The knob is marked with -db, and start from "0" to "18", and it is turn it as anti clockwise, thats why it makes me confuse is it "0" means maximum the treble or not.

4. Still- it's the same just marked differently. Of course a proper (read- scientific) explanation I can't give ya, but it still works EXACTLY the same as all the others
    I've the MB STD151HR cab & a LMII & it's virtually same
    Nice rig- too BTW. congrats!!

5. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    so if I want more treble i roll it anti-clockwise? Because the sound seems muddy when i roll more.

6. Well now U got me a wonderin' Is the '0' at the Clockwise end & '18' at the anti-clockwise. Usually -well on mine it's like this (???) & works as/usual. Have U tried doing it with just the treble turned flat out on the amp & just listening to the 'hiss' comin outta the tweeter? This SHOULD give U an answer. Gott go.
    Will check my cab tonite

7. Those numbers represent the amount of dbs cut. So, '0' is full on (maximum treble) and 18 is a full 18db cut, so mostly off.

However, a simple listen will tell you... the direction that gives you more treble will, well.... give you more treble. It should be obvious. The '0' setting should give you 'maximum treble' if the attenuator is marked correctly.

8. +1 what he said..............