1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tweeter/cross specs (110 cab build)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black Sheep, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    I am rebuilding a 110 cab, and need an inexpensive tweeter option.
    Anyone have a guess as to the specs on a tweeter and crossover from a MarkBass CMD121p??
    Found the parts available, and may want to use them.
    The speaker will likely be an Eminence BP102.
    It's a Workingman's 10 cab, so I could also use a stock SWR (LeSon?) peizo, but may want a high pass to go with that.
    Ideas?

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I could be mistaken but isn't the MB cab using the same tweeter as the SWR? If your using that little SWR single 10 cab I'm pretty there isn't room for a different tweeter unless you go with a dome textile tweet like Genz used (uses?) in their tiny teeny cabs. I'd guess SWR crosses over around 5khz and I'd stick with that if I were you.

3. Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Yes, it is limited to a small tweeter. Actually looks similar to some used in GK as well. Just need something that's low cost, and works a bit. For most of the use it will get I probably won't use the tweeter, but would like to have one for occasional use. The stock SWR type is available pretty cheap. Curious about the MB crossover as that's reasonable, too.

4. Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Got the Markbass parts, basically a high pass filter and LeSon piezo. The HP is set at 3.5K according to the specs on the MB site.

5. The BP102 drops like a stone above 2kHz, leaving a pretty large gap before the tweeter comes in at 3.5kHz. The BP102 is also not very sensitive (92-93db/w/m). Have you considered a Deltalite 2510 or a S2010?

6. +1, if you have room I'd probably look at the Eminence APT-50 super tweet with the small APT-80 horn, then high pass at 3.5 Khz and add an L-pad. Haven't priced those recently, last I saw was around $30 at PE.

For a high pass I'd use their handy-dandy chart in the catalog and roll your own to keep cost down.

7. Exactly what I did with a GK MB115. Vast improvement over the stock piezo. The phenolic diaphram of the APT driver provides a smooth, detailed and articulate sound without the stridency of many drivers with titanium diaphragms. It appears that the OP has already purchased a Markbass piezo horn and matching high pass filter (probably from someone who replaced them with the above or similar!).

8. Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Yes I did get the Markbass parts, but they were pretty cheap, actually were uninstalled spares from someone who sold their combo. I can always upgrade the tweeter if I think it needs it, and use the same hpf. I'm not thinking it will get much use. Didn't want to spend much, so I could watch for a used neo or something.
    Eminence actually recommended the BP102 (or a Delta 10-A).

9. understandable if you're trying to keep it w/in a budget re tweeter.

Of the two Emi recommended I think you'd be better off with the Delta, much higher efficiency, esp if you're trying to do a smaller one cab solution.

The BPs work well in pairs with a fair amount of power but really do need something for the mids.

I'd still look at the two neo 10s, though and see how they model but again that depends on your budget. The Delta is cheaper and is a nice driver.

10. I'll bet that's a very nice sounding cab :cool: