Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tweeter Crossovers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acepiloto, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    In a thread started a few weeks ago I posted the question about tweeters.

When you turn off the tweeter using an attentuator, does it disengage the internal crossover? If the crossover is still working, wouldn't it cut all the high end coming out the the cab?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Interesting question.
    I don't know the answer but I guess it doesn't matter because woofers can't reproduce those high frequencies anyway.
    E.g. in the SWR Triad everything above 5kHz goes to the tweeter.
    3kHz-5kHz is the limit for most woofers as far as I know.
    Whatever. What sounds good is good, no matter how it is done technically... ;)

Matthias

3. arfur

arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    On my peavey 210 the attenuator does cut the high frequencies. There is a clear difference between the sound of this cab with the atttenuator turned down and the sound of another 210 without a tweeter.
    Easiest way to listen to the effects of the attenuator is to hook up your cab to your hi-fi and then listen to full range music through it. Then play with the attenuator and see what happens.

4. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    *BUMP*

Ok, I think that with the SWR Triad, that the 15 is run full range, the 10 is run with a high pass filter (set at maybe 60-80Hz?), then the tweeter has another high pass filter set at about 4-6kHz.

Are most cabs set up to where the tweeter has a HPF engaged, and the woofers are run full range?