1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tweeter defeat on Yorkville XM200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sandvich Hero, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Hi,

First of all, I don`t know if I should have posted this in the Pups/electronics forum but it seemed more about bass electronics (feel free to move it if you want).

I currently have a Yorkville XM200 (1x15 + tweeter) and would like to add a "tweeter defeat" switch just like the newer Traynor DB200.
    I couldn`t find for the love of god the service manuals for my amp except the user manual when googling it hard. Yorkville seems to have removed every info about this amp from their website ?!?
    So if anyone have a pdf copy of the XM200 Service manual, It would be really appreciated to share :)

Now to the point : When I look at the Traynor`s schematics, I see this (picture inserted for convenience), basically just a spdt switch that disconnect the tweeter. But wouldn`t such a thing affect the impedance faced by the output ? Or is the little crossover components right before the tweeter prevent this ?
    There probably is some sort of crossover before the tweeter in my XM200 but like stated before, I can`t currently find the schematics.
    So, to anyone more competent than me in electronics, would it be safe to just install a switch that disconnects the tweeter, without any kind of load to replace it or whatever else ?

Thanks a lot for any pointer on this.

ps : Just for personal info, what are the 2 components labeled as YEL on the pictured schematics ? My first guess would be just some troubleshooting leds on the internal PCB (YELlow leds ...) but I`m still wondering :)

Attached Files:

2. hey, I'm a little late to the party... my tweeter/horn was sounding farty so I just unplugged it. it actually made the whole amp sound a lot quieter. zero hiss. I have the 2×10 combo with 1×15 ext cab and no problems whatsoever. it sounds beautiful.

RevGroove likes this.