1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tweeter/Horn Opinion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by telebravo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. telebravo

telebravo

Jan 28, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I recently opened up my Ashdown MAG 210 and cut the leads to the tweeter, and am most pleased with the response I'm getting now. This cheaper cab doesn't have a level control; used to have some Edens that did and I would shut them completely off.

I'm playing fingerstyle rock for the mostpart, no slap/pop. Anyone else out there taking the tweeter completely out of the equation?

2. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    If you have been hanging around the talk bass forums much you would notice that people seem to be pretty divided on whether or not the tweeter is part of their sound. Personally i play on a schroeder 210212 and i have the tweeter just barely on and it seems to work out just fine for me. anything more than just barely on and it has ripping loud highs. Tweeters are just one of those subjective personal things thats going to change based on whoever you talk to.

3. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I run the horns in my Eden cabs just about off, I could pretty much do without them.

4. Well, I JUST recieved my Fender Bassman 250/210 and I set the horn on 12 o'clock before I even turned it on. I was geting a horrible noise if I turned the bass down and treble/mids up. It got better when I turned to about 9 o'clock, but I need to fiddle with it some more and get everything to where it sounds good.

But, right now it looks like Ima turnin' the horn off (at least until I get it set up correctly).

5. Burr!

6. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    what kind of bass are you using? are you using single coils? tweeters will amplify any humming or hissing that are coming from your pickups. Like i said my tweeter is just barely on like just enough that you can hear it and thats perfect for what i play but also the schroeder tweeter has 200w handling!! Thats ridiculous imo at least i will never blow it out.

7. I have the 250/115 Bassman, and I concur on turning the tweeter down. Im playing it through a MusicMan SR5, we all know that has a humbucker, and I was still getting a hiss with the tweeter on. Turning it down eliminated the hiss, and made the highs alot smoother and less harsh.

8. Alright, first off, BURR indeed to Mr. Bass Junkie.

Second, to Mr. Jacostilllives, I am using an Epiphone Thunderbird IV with the stock pickups in it at the moment. I have no clue if they are single coils or not. I just upgraded from a GK Backline 1x15 so this whole "tweeter" business is new to me. I also realize that a thumpy bass like a Thunderbird probably wouldn't mix well with a tweeter or at least that's how I see it. I haven't tried it with any others because the 'Bird is what I've been playing most recently.

I tried the Bassman in the local music store with a few basses, the amp was against a wall and I couldn't adjust the tweeter, but it sounded great.

9. My cabs either don't have them or I have disconnected them.

I appreciate why people like them, but for the sounds I'm going for I don't want them.

10. I run bi-amped on my GK 1001RB/Neo 212 and miss the high end "sizzle" if I turn the tweeter master to 0. It usually runs about 9 o'clock or a tad higher to make my ear happy. The setting changes slightly in respect to the freshness of the strings.

11. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    ahh cool im pretty sure those are humbuckers. From the sound of it it seems like you don't need a tweeter. But in terms of killing hiss and hum there are tons of options you have. One you can shield your bass. The guy that works on my bass did it for 50 bucks and i can stand facing a huge stack with all the tweeters turned to 11 and not hear a thing. The guy did a real sweet job. Or you could buy a noise cancelling pedal. I've used one before and the work really well. Some people say they kill tone but to my ear it sounds fine. I'm sure there are more options but those are the only ones i can think of. But it looks like you solved the problem just fine. I play a lot of funk and jazz so i like the sound of the tweeter when you give the strings a good old snap. But thats just my personal preference. Hope you figure out a good median for yourself and your styles but hiss and hum can be solved if you choose to use a tweeter in the future.

12. Thanks for the advice. I will look into that when I try the amp a little more tonight.

BURR,
    The Burrigible

13. telebravo

telebravo

Jan 28, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for chiming in everyone. I appreciate the info.
    The sounds that I'm going for I'll just leave em out (off).

Esp: Jacostilllives: "Tweeters are just one of those subjective personal things thats going to change based on whoever you talk to."

14. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    for me, I cut them down about 1/2 and use EQ to get what I want. I've used my cabs as a PA system for my kid's band (sounded suprisingly good) before and they are a must for that.