Tweeter in my Avatar 15'' has quit working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Oct 20, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Is there anything I can do to fix it or find out if its even broken? What is the best way to get in there to see if it's just a wire problem? And no, the tweeter level is not all the way down.
  2. First, you might want to delete the other 4 threads that you started about this.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well, you can remove it and see if there is a resistance reading between the terminals (with one of the wires disconnected from the crossover). If it's infinite, your tweeter is burned out. You can either buy a replacement diaphram or call Dave at Avatar and buy a new tweeter.

I haven't owned an Avatar cabinet in a while (have two on the way though) and don't recall whether he solders the wiring to the tweeter's level control. If you pull the tweeter out to check it, look inside with a flash light and make sure that all the wiring is still connected.

If you run the cabinet with the tweeter level control all the way down, you could burn it out. Logically I'm not sure why this happens, but apparently it does to Avatars, Edens and probably others.
  4. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Hey man, word on the street is that the tweeter in your Avatar 15" has quit working.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If the tweeter were to go out in mine, I'd take it as an opportunity to try a different type or something rather than order another from Dave. There's got to be a better sounding tweeter out there.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Avatar uses Foster/Fostex tweeters...a very common and popular tweeter for bass cabinets (SWR, etc.) did you set the level for your tweeter...really, really low or somewhat higher or ???

The reason that I ask is that I just bought a couple empty cabinets from Dave and was quite underwhelmed by the size of the L Pad for the tweeter. It's marked only 15 watts. I bought one of the original B112s last year and IIRC the L Pad was quite a bit larger.

A low tweeter level setting and high input power would probably cause the control to burn out...
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Open the cab up and see if it has a lightbulb in it. My GK has one and a few other cabs have one as well. The bulb bleeds off high current spikes to save the tweets from damage. I found out about mine when my cab started to light up on some pops, after further investigation I found out about the lightbulb. This was also confirmed by GK. Oh by the way if the bulb blows the tweets will not work.
  8. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    There's no bulb in the Avatars.

My first tweeter quit working when a solder joint broke. Fixed that.

Then I blew the tweeter by putting distorted guitar through it :D

Then the L-Pad went bad and I had to replace that :(

I just keep it turned off now.
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    You run a serious risk of burning out the L Pad by running the tweeter completely off...
  10. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Maybe that explains why my first one went bad :p