Tweeter Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by El-Gato, Dec 27, 2002.

1. El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    Just got an awesome SWR Workingman's rig (4004 Head, 2x10T and 1x15T cabs) but I'm having a problem with the 2x10T tweeter. I love the high-end that it gives my tone, but it makes quite a bit of noise. Since there are only three options on the tweeter control on the cab I put it in the middle, but does anyone know if there's a way to lessen the noise, maybe by getting a better tweeter or something, I really don't want to turn it off cause I love the sound but the noise is pretty bad.
  2. El-Gato:

That WM stack of yours should be a great setup.

As far as the hiss from the tweeter: Replacing the tweeter will not solve the problem. The noise is not being generated in the tweeter driver itself; rather, the noise is being generated by one of 3 things:

1) The pickup/elect. in your bass
    2) The WM's preamp section
    3) The WM's poweramp section

Swap basses or the head and listen for a difference. Good luck, and remember, no bass amplifier (or soundsystem, for that matter...) is completely free of the 'hiss'.

3. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001

Congrats on the rig! I have the same setup but with the 4x10 instead of the 2x10. I had problems with my tweeters, too. I'd be playing along just fine, and then it would suddenly sound as if the tweeters were cracking up. This was with a reasonably low volume level. Scared me a bit, it did...

It turns out that it was due to static electricity from rubber-soled shoes rubbing on carpet in the wintertime, dry air and all. I'd touch the strings and "crunch" go the the tweeters. A friend of mine has also had the same thing happen with a different bass, so I'm reasonably sure it's not bass-related. I'm much more careful about how much I move on carpeted floors, now, and the problem's pretty much gone away.

Now, if you're talking about plain old hiss, you'll lose that in the mix. You could roll off the highs a hair on the e.q. just in case.

good luck.