Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tweeter question on my "new" 410 cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Jan 6, 2006.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    ... I just picked up my 1st 410 cab(used), after playing through two 15s for all these years... It's a Peavey 410TXF(front ported), with a tweeter and an Attenuator - it's plenty punchy, clear, and gets a surprising amount of bottom end... only thing is, I hear a little bit of a rattle/crackle through the tweeter - but ONLY when I play an F on my A string...

Does this sound like a tweeter on it's way out, or maybe something else???

I just picked it up last night, and am planning on opening it up today, to give everything a good vacuum/cleaning, check all connections/tighten fasteners, and generally spruce it up a bit - so maybe I'll get lucky, and it'll be something simple... I bought it used($200 plus tax), but got a 1 year warrantee on it - so if the tweeter's shot, it isn't the end of the world...

World of 10s, here I come!!!

- georgestrings

2. If the noise is electrical (produced by the tweeter itself), you should be able to hear a difference in amount of it by varying the tweeter level control. If it's a mechanical vibration, you'll have to devise other ways of isolating the sound. Try snugging up the mounting screws of the tweeter and all the 10" drivers. Don't ream on 'em; just snug 'em up if there's any travel left to do so.

If it's a problem with the tweeter itself (a sound it's putting out through its horn), take heart in that the diaphragms of these things (the thing the electrical signal is acting on and moving/vibrating) are fairly easy to obtain, as this is one of the most common brands of tweeter used in bass cabs. It's called the Foster or Fostex, and you can get diaphragms from Peavey or probably even cheaper from a speaker repair shop or one on the 'Net, like partsexpress.com (numerous others).

But you've got to troubleshoot it effectively. A lot of times little annoying noises like this come from places that aren't so obvious. It's hard to isolate sounds sometimes, unless you have super-hearing! Could be a wire lead inside vibrating against something it shouldn't. Good luck!

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    whacker - I was pretty sure it was the tweeter, because I could use the attentuator to turn it off, and the noise went away... To make a long story short, I took EVERYTHING out of the cab today, vacuumed it out, looked everything over, and put it all back together( I always do that when I buy a used piece of gear) - the tweeter had some oxidation on the aluminum(?) piece that sits in the middle of it, and rests up against the diaphragm - plus the tweeter as a whole was a bit dirty... After giving it a good cleaning, and looking for anything suspect(which everything looked good,btw) - I put it all back togther - making sure every connection was good, locktiting all the screws, and added a couple of staples to the insulation - and I'm happy to report that the "noise" is gone... The cab sounds great, and really works well with my 115 - I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised at the low end this 410 cab gets - yet punchy, and clear highs - and the attentuator is nice for getting just the right sound I'm loking for...

Thanks for your reply, BTW - and did I understand you to say that if the tweeter DOES start acting up, I can probably just replace the diaphragm in it for cheap??? That would be nice...

Next up: casters for this brute - it's got a bit of weight to it...

- georgestrings

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I do that to a lot of my gear also. I like to know how it works or looks on the inside. You never know if someone has hidden something interesting in there. :rolleyes:

5. Hmm, it's interesting that it would respond to varying the level control, but went away entirely when you went over the cab, but you got the results you were looking for. The tweeter diaphragms should be around $30 or so, IIRC (probably cost around $3 to make...).

I have a Peavey 410 TX & 210 TX, which were the predecessor cabs to the TXF (and TVX --Tolex covered). Smaller outside dimensions, rear ported. Pretty much the same driver and crossover. The switch to the TXF made the cabs go lower because of the increased volume of the cab, but even my TX goes low in a fine manner. It's patterned after the SWR Golliath I & II. It's not my main cab now (too heavy), but it's around if I need it.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I'm usually thinking more along the lines of getting any "critters" out of there, and used gear will typically benefit from a good vacuuming/cleaning, inside and out - besides, what better time to put your name/initials somewhere on the inside??? I worked as an electronics tech for a couple of years, so alot of times I'll see a potential trouble spot during these "inspections" before it has a chance to give me trouble...

- georgestrings

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Well, there WAS quite a bit of corrosion/oxidation on that aluminum center piece, and it had some dust/lint/dirt around it as well(makes one wonder about how some people take care of their stuff)... The noise I heard was there as long as the tweeter was on, but went away when I turned it completely off - and it was only present on that one note - that's why I thought it was something minor, because if the tweeter truly was damaged, I would imagine it would act up on more than one note...

I wanted a TXF for more than one reason - 1st, I wanted it to be front ported, and 2nd, because both of my 115s have the same covering... It IS a large enclosure, but sounds very good, IMO - for local/area gigs, I usually have people helping me with my gear, if not outright moving it for me - and I *might* be touring this year, so moving it won't be a problem, then...

Thanks again for your input...

- georgestrings