Tweeter removal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcm, Dec 19, 2000.

1. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I have an 8ohm 2x10+tweeter cab. The tweeter has no attenuation and is too bright. If I take it out of the cicuit does it make any difference to the ohmage or power that the cab can handle(it's a 200wt cab)?
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    No, removing the tweeter shouldn't change the impedance. Most tweeters have fairly high impedances and are wired in parallel, so removing it shouldn't change anything. Wattage will still be determined by your remaining speakers.
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I doubt that disconnecting the tweeter will affect the nominal impedance of the cabinet. If you do disconnect it, I recommend disconnecting any crossover network that it may have. I also recommend either leaving the tweeter physically mounted or else blocking the hole if you remove it. (If the tweeter is mounted within the woofer cabinet, such a hole could adversely affect the performance of the woofers.)

Another thing you might consider is putting an L-pad or power resistor in series with the tweeter to cut down on its output. However, you have to consider that these will probably change the crossover frequency. It might be worthwhile to experiment with it, though.

- Mike