Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, Mar 28, 2003.

1. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Recap, my guitarist blew (or burned out rather) my tweeter in my Avatar 2x10 by unplugging from my amp without turning the volume down, so I replace it with an identical one (another Fostex from Dave). Well sure enough the replacement quit working (too much power I guess). So, I ordered one of THESE TWEETERS, which I recieved today.

I hook it up and it doesn't seem to be working :confused: so I pull the rear plate off and A WIRE HAD SEPARATED FROM THE INPUT JACK!!! :eek: Hrmmm. So I pull it off, resolder it, and reattach everthing.

I turn my amp on and crank the tweeter up, and I couldn't hear anything coming out of it (I'm use to hearing the Fostex buzz), but as soon as I started slapping I was amazed. It sounded so crisp and clean. My slap actually sounded good for a change (I thought I just sucked at it :D). It wasn't harsh sounding at all.

Then I thought to myself "maybe the other tweeter isn't broken after all," so I swapped the old Fostex back in, but it still didn't work :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm really happy about this new tweeter and I thought I'd share. Here's my mini review of the new tweeter:

Clear and Crisp.
    Not Noisy.
    Dirt Cheap.
    Came with a BIG Mylar Capacitor (my avatar 2x10 already had one though).
    Looks neat, the metal cone is visible, and it's nice and smooth

The Color (black is so boring, but it's easy enough to paint).
    Wasn't exactly the same size as the Fostex (had to make some new holes in my cab).
    Terminals are small, requires smaller connectors or soldering.
    Could induce slapping frenzy, friends and family may start to worry :D

Overall this is a great replacement or add-on tweeter.

Score: 9/10

2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I hate the hiss on my avatar tweeter, i'll look into those. is it hard to replace?
  3. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    piece of cake

take off the grill
    unscrew the old one
    disconnect it
    connect the wires to the new one (take the capacitor off if it has one)
    screw it back on (you may need to make some new holes though)
    put the grill back on
  4. That's great that your new tweeter sounds good.If you have any more trouble with it blowing you might want to check out adding a crossover with lamp protection like Edens or a Dayton 3500hz from Parts Express.The lamp takes the overload so the tweeter doesn't fry.Most people don't have this problem with Avatars but if you slap a lot it may help save your tweeters.The Eden crossover is pretty reasonable,you can order them from their website.