1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tweeter / X-over for GK 400 RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMMiguelito, May 12, 2017.

1. MMMiguelito

MMMiguelito "...I'm afraid, Dave".

Jul 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hi everyone:

I just picked up a GK 400 RB in the 2x10 tilt-back cabinet. There is no tweeter or crossover in this cab, and I was thinking of adding one.

The only problem is that there is a port where the tweeter would normally go.
    I was thinking I could squeeze one in between the two woofers at the bottom, rather than the top.

Space is at a premium, so the tweeter would have to be pretty small. also, I'd be interested in your collective opinion for retrofitting a crossover to accomodate the tweeter as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    MMMiguelito

2. It sounds like there is no space to spare.
    The bottom is about the last place you would want the tweeter.
    Just maybe you can rebuild the baffle to move the port to the bottom
    and have a little space at the top.

3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    As best I recall the 210 RBH cab (sort of similar to the combo cabinet you have) had a GK (Paragon) horn where the port on your cab is and a slot/shelf type venting system across the bottom of the cab. The version you have was pretty tight on space on the baffle board for adding in an additional component - probably why they went to shelf vent on the RBH cab. You may be able to work something in around the internal bracing, but my guess is that unless you really need that extra top end, it may not be worth the effort.

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If you're proposing this change as a fun challenge, and if you have other usable gear that you can fall back on should things not turn out as well as hoped, then please disregard everything I write below. Otherwise...

Not to be a wet blanket, but IMO, if this is truly being driven by your not being happy with the high-end response of your cab outside of what EQ can accomplish, and not by the desire to add a tweeter just to have a tweeter, I'd suggest that a change of rig is in order. With patience and a little luck you could likely buy/sell/trade your way to something that scratches your itch with minimal additional expenditure.

At least then you can test out how things will sound before you start doing irreversible modifications to your existing cab, with mods like the the one you're proposing potentially having unforeseen consequences on tuning and bracing. Just my 2c.

Best of luck.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

In a case such as yours I would think about adding a “top box” containing the tweeter and it’s high pass crossover. No modifications to your existing cabinet so no loss of value.

kap'n kro and Al Kraft like this.
  6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Don't forget - regardless of using a top box or other method, as long as you're using your 400RB (I'm assuming it's a iii or iv) you won't need another crossover unless you really want one - just a bit of simple, creative wiring of a 4 conductor Speakon cable utilizing the GK's Speakon-out.

Those 400RB models have an internal active crossover at 5k as part of their "horn management system" that I always felt worked very well when I've used it in the past with GK cabs.

I have no experience with that system outside of GK cabs, but in my time browsing through woofer specs it seems to me that 5k seems to be the approximate natural high-end roll-off point for a very wide range of woofers, not just those that GK use.

For those of us who are curious, do let us know how you decide to proceed.

7. MMMiguelito

MMMiguelito "...I'm afraid, Dave".

Jul 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Actually, I do have other stuff, I just picked this up for a steal, b/c I like the design of the cabinet (it tilts back, which works really well in my current situation). I'm just looking for some ideas is all... and a tweeter does dial in some high end that the 2 tens simply can't provide.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 10, 2021