Tweeterless 210 sealed bass cabinets - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mannishboy, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Hey guys,

I need your input.

Almost everybody digs a sealed 810 cab at one time or another, but size and weight make it impossible (for me) to lug it around.

I'm looking for a mini SVT - A sealed box, tweeterless, vertical 210 cab. Preferably 8 ohm with 300-400 watt RMS power rating. My plan is to stack 2 cabs to get the sound closer to my ears.

Here's where I'm at so far...

Ampeg SVT-210AV - I've never had the opportunity to try these. I like the look! The downside of these cabs seem to be a rather drastic low-end roll-off starting at around 140hz (I got that info from another Talkbass forum), and they don't look very stable when stacked vertically.

Hartke 210xl - Once again, I have never tried these cabs. I'm not the biggest fan of aluminum cone speakers, but I could get over that if they resemble the SVT sound. I do hate the rat fur covering!

Peavey Headliner 210 - These I've tried! I'm reasonably impressed with the sound. They stack well. Cons: RAT FUR and HEAVY!

I'm not opposed to custom enclosures, which is probably the way I'll have to go. Anyone had any experience with LDS (Low Down Sound) cabs? I've even checked out Mojotone's Tremolux knock-off cabinets, but I'm hesitant to use guitar cabs for bass applications.

I truly appreciate any advice.

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I have a pair of 210AVs. They do LOOK precarious when stacked, but with a micro head on top, I've not had any issues. They DO roll of pretty quickly, but so does the 810, and its pretty far below 140,closer to 100hz i believe? What style of music? Volume requirements? They only take ~200 watts each, so if you have a super loud band, are playing Dub, or both,yeah,they are probably not for you.

Mannishboy likes this.
  3. I play with several bands, mostly blues, classic rock, old school r & b, soul, some classic country, and jazz standards (once in a great while), and yeah, it can get pretty loud. All of my basses are passive 4's with flatwound strings and my main amp is a Quilter Bass Block 800 with a Shaw Audio Tube Injection Preamp. I do like some roll-off, but I still want a little booty. That said, I've never increased the bass on any amp I've ever owned. My tone sits more in the mids. I'm finding myself increasingly interested in the Faital 10" drivers.

4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I find they can get pretty deep when paired, not as much when solo. Nature of the beast. I play an Epi Jack Casady with my current project, also with flats. With my LM2, I don't really have to touch the EQ at all to get a pretty nice classic sounding tone. My TH500 requires a lot more tweaking. They sound great with my Peavey VB2, but less so with my EBS t90. I think they'd give you the SOUND you want, just not entirely sure it'll be the VOLUME you need.

Mannishboy likes this.
  5. Thanks, man! I really appreciate your input!
    Now I've just gotta find me a couple SVT-210AV cabs to try out...

6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The 210AVs do roll-off but I just give mine a little bump in the lows and that does the trick, for me anyway. Great sounding cabs, IMO.

Mannishboy likes this.
  7. Thanks for your input!

8. I believe the Hartke HD210 is sealed and you can turn the tweeter off.

Mannishboy and Alik like this.
  9. You are correct. The HD210 is a sealed cab. I'll give them a closer look! Thanks!

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    If you want to look at other options, the Barefaced Two10 is what I'd be looking at.

P_Robyn and Mannishboy like this.
  11. I'd love to try one! I've read about the Barefaced cabs, but I've never seen one. They are pretty expensive and they're ported. I'm curious how they sound.
    Thanks for your input!

12. Kustom Deep End 210H is an amazingly well made and economic sealed 210 with defeatable tweeter.

Mannishboy likes this.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The SVT-210AVs do, indeed, start to roll off around 150Hz, but it's fairly gradual. Two of them do a very respectable job on the gig, IME/IMHO. If you want "more" of all the good stuff the 210AV brings to the table, I agree that the Barefaced Two10 is a great option.

Mannishboy likes this.
  14. Plutonium244

Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'll second what Dave W just said. The Barefaced Two10 is worth a look if it's within reach cost-wise.

Buy once, cry once, I say-- it's worth the price. They are actually designed to be similar to a sealed cabinet sound, even though they are ported.

If you get the switchable ohm-age design, you can stack two, or stack three; or run one at 4 ohms which would be plenty loud. The tone of these, in my (possibly inaccurate) assessment of your tone goals from what you've written, may well be right up your alley. They also have excellent dispersion even when horizontal, since the high end comes from only the left (as you face the cab) side driver.

If you're of a mind to consider the Barefaced option, check into some of the various comments on their kind of vintage sound quality, how they simulate the tone of sealed cabs, and how well they work with tube amps. I have a One10 and a Four10, and now that they have the switchable Two10 out, I am thinking seriously about getting one, even though, by all objective standards, I am more that set with cabs. I do want to be able to run it alone or stacked with the Four10, and the new switchable ohm model is perfect for that. The Two10 is also only about 29 pounds.

In any case, good luck with your search for the perfect 2x10. It's not the destination, it's the journey. ;)

P_Robyn and Mannishboy like this.
  15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's because although they look like they have a port, they're not actually ported cabs! ;)

P_Robyn, Mannishboy and Plutonium244 like this.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mannishboy and Plutonium244 like this.
  17. Plutonium244

Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    But I was right about the "sounds great" part, right? ;)

P_Robyn, Mannishboy and tombowlus like this.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

I’d have to concur with the Barefaced Two 10 recommendation for what you want.

19. Thanks! Great article on the Two10 and FR800. I'm leaning heavily towards Barefaced!

Plutonium244 and tombowlus like this.
  20. Okay... I know this is like comparing apples to aardvarks, but which would you prefer/see as a better deal: One Barefaced Two10 ($800) or two Ampeg SVT-210AV ($600)? For that matter, at $800 for a 210 cab and $1500 for a 610 cab that's only 36" tall x 24" wide, I might be tempted to go BIG! My current "big" cab setup is two Mesa Subway Lite 12's. They're nice, but they're not the sound I'm looking for.
    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your input!

Plutonium244 likes this.