Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tweeters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Aug 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Someone once told me that all tweeters for the big companies were made by the same manufacturer, and were the same thing, just painted differently. Is it true that ampeg, swr, eden, carvin, sunn etc. all use the same tweeter?
    sorry if this has been posted before.. searching for "tweeter" was not too successful.

2. Don't know. Don't care. Doesn't really matter does it? :D:D

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Even if that were true and it wouldn't surprise me if it was, The crossover point's, cabinets and speakers aren't.

But yea, a two inch, 50w replacement diaphram is a pretty generic item. IMHO

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I think most use a Fostex horn.
    But then few companies use their own woofers too.
    Eden just started doing their own, others either use standard speakers of manufacturers like Eminence, E-Voice, Volt or Celestion or have them made according to their specs.

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea it doesn't really bother me if they are all the same, but I was just curious since speakers are such a big deal... there isn't much of a choice with tweeters, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone, myself included. It is more just a matter of wanting to know...

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Fostex and Foster.
    Some others use Motorola Too.

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    BERGANTINO's use a propriatary tweeter that is VERY different from ANYONE else. Hence........
    IT SOUNDS BETTER!!!!!!!!

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, the SWR Workingman's series uses LeSon tweeters. Eden makes their own. As for the sound companies, doesn't JBL make their own as well? And the same goes for Mackie. So there's a bigger selection than you might think. To answer your question: no, every company does not use the same tweeter.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not every company makes their own tweeters, but they don't all use the same one either. In addition to the tweeter makers already mentioned, Acme, for example, uses Audax.

It's similar to the situation with speakers--you don't think every single speaker cab maker makes their own drivers, do you? A lot of boxes have Eminence in them, I can tell you that.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Different doesn't necessarily mean better. Never has. Nothing against the Bergs, but I couldn't care less if they use a proprietary tweeter or buy one off the shelf. All that matters is what it sounds like, y'know?

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    thanks for the info

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Richard,
    Have you HEARD the Bergantino? The tweeters that most companies are using, regardless of manufacturer, start to compress as soon as a signal is present! The light bulb that most use for protection only further complicates matters! LISTEN to the Berg tweeter and tell me it's not money well spent! Also, Jims crossovers play a HUGE part in the coherency of the cabinet. If he was not such a good designer, do you think the other speaker companies would have hired him in the past to fix their shortcomings? The funny thing is........You've heard his work in OTHER cabinets that you think are great, probably without knowing it!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey GG, I wasn't knocking the Bergs at all, merely making the point that different/proprietary doesn't *necessarily* equal better. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's not. Proprietary per se has nothing to do with quality; it's all about the musical results.

I don't know what the story is with the Bergs, because I haven't checked them out yet. That's why I'm not expressing an opinion about them as such. I'd like to though--except that the last thing I need right now is a possible GAS attack. :)

14. How true. Cheap tweeters are a necessity in production gear to keep the pricing competitive.
    But different also offers the possibility of being vastly superior. The JBL tweeters (075 and 077) are heads and shoulders above the low-end screechers used in production gear. The JBLs are complete overkill because they cut in at 7 and 8 KHz respectively, which is far too high to be useful in a bass rig.

If one wants to comment about "different" the obvious point is the vast number of manufacturers who all use Eminence drivers in their bass cabinets. Eden is about the only one that comes to mind for making their own 10" drivers. This leads me to believe every box based on Eminence Delta 10" has to sound about the same, and have similar bass response.

15. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma

bgavin,
    This couldn't be further from the truth! Have you ever heard of........tuning.......crossover? Not to mention port placement(front or rear....YES it does make a difference in what you hear!), bracing, types of damping material, construction materials, etc. If everybody built a 1 cubic foot, sealed box, and used the Delta 10", sure they would sound the same!!
    GEEK

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    UHmm.... I believe you dont know Bgavin or havent read his posts in the past.
    He has contributed a lot into the technical elightenment of us.
    As Joris, Mikey,Psycho and many others.

And BTW, Where the port is located Doesnt matter, it serves to tune the cabinet.

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ohh, and BTW, I believe you have to place that line in the context.

18. That's exactly how I feel:) Lotta boxes made with D-10's.

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sometimes it seems that way with speakers, too. So often I read about a cab, and there's the word, "Eminence," like a dog that won't stop following me everywhere I go.

20. Can anyone suggest a replacement for my Fostex horn in my Eden D-212XLT? I find the tweeter to be rather shrill and harsh. I turn it alsmost off when playing. Maybe I'm just not a horn kinda guy but is there not smoother alternative that I can modify my cab with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.