1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tweeters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    75.3%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. Who uses them? I've just found they amplify fingernoise, and that's about it.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    not only do i use em'. i crank em' up as high as they'll go.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The horns in Bergantino cabs......are a beautiful thing:D

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    The SWR Workingman's 10 tweeter I have found to be very harsh, and with out sufficent control find it better to leave it off. I think that with a better sounding tweeter, or with more control I would use it.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    The first month I had my 410xlt, I busted my tweeter by cranking the treble a bit too high. Since then, I've never replaced it, so I have been tweeter-less, thus I cannot answer your question since I know nothing of what a tweeter sounds like.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you mean the actual horn or just the dome light?

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    In each of my speakers, there's a 10 inch aluminum tweeter. It's great for my tone, gives me a range up to 30khz.

8. I like horn tweeters some--I make heavy use of the one on my Aguilar GS-410--but my favorite tweeter is the coaxial unit found in my Eden CXM-110.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sure it's not the light bulb?

10. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    The HF Horns in both SWR and Eden cabs play a great part in defining the overall sound and definition of my sound.

I've experimented with them completely off.....and found the sound dull and lifeless. (SWR Goliath sr., and Eden 2-12xlt )

...this , of course is my opinion..... :)

PJR

11. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I like the tweeters too.They give me a little more definition and help me to hear myself on stage.I turn them up just enough to hear and try not to boost the highs on my preamp.Back in the 70s I played through front loaded 15" cabinets and folded horn 18" cabinets and had to crank the treble and ultra high switch on my SVT head. I had a tough time hearing myself when my volume was right for the audience.The cabinets around these days with tens,twelves and tweeters are a vast improvement.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Like someone else mentioned, the tweeter in my SWR WM 210T is too harsh and has limited control (off, -6 db, full).

Does anybody know if I could replace the switch with a pot, like on the more expensive cabs? Also, maybe I could replace the tweeter with something smoother? This sounds more expensive, but do you have tweeter recommendations?

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The tweeter in the Workingmans series is a Leson piezo.Piezos don't need a crossover,so to change to a compression type tweeter you would have to add a crossover also.The SWR pro series use the Fostex 40watt tweeter which is much cleaner sounding and louder.Carvin and Peavey also use this tweeter.Carvin sells thiers for about $40.Edens tweeter is similar and is a little smoother than the fostex.It runs about $60 and is available from Edens web site under accesories.Eden also sells their crossover on this site and it would work with both of these tweeters.Carvins MP210T crossover would also work for about $70.So the parts would cost a little over $100 to chnge it out.
    The hole for the new tweeter would have to be enlarged with a jig saw to fit and the new crossover would have to be the same size as the old back plate or larger and the hole in the back of the cabinet enlarged to fit.If you are handy with a jig saw and could do this yourself it could be a pretty cool project and it would sweeten and smooth out the highs of your cabinet.On the practical side you have to look whether it's cheaper to sell your cab and get a used Goliath Jr.that already has this tweeter in it and a little better speakers also.

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think past $100 makes it time to consider another cab. Any thoughts on a tweeter volume pot? I can't know for sure, but I have a feeling that if I could dial in only 10-25% on this tweeter it would sound good. Right now all I get is 0-50-100% as choices.

I want enough tweet to add zing without too much hiss or fingernoise. The hiss is not noticeable at performance volume, but I leave it off because 50% is too much.

When I run a DI line to the PA, the sound guy is obviously not rolling off his tweeters. He gets more hiss than I do, and lately I've figured out it's because I eq my rig w/ the tweeter off. Of course he compensates by rolling off treble eq, but then that affects my overall tone balance. We've compromised and it's not a huge problem, but his tweeters showed me that my rig is noisier than I thought. It makes me think about miking my cab.

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I turn my tweeter up just enough to give my sound some "life".. too much of the tweeter sounds nasty IMO

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  17. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i turn the tweeters all the way down in my cabs(avatar with compression tweeters), but the 5" mid bass in my baby blue II sounds real good. gives a creamy sound instead of the harsh sound of most tweeters.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I keep the tweeters in my SWR Goliath III Sr and Jr cabs rolled way down, but not completely off.

19. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Feeling stupid one day, I cranked the treble pots on my bass preamp and my rig preamp, all at middle to high volume. A loud piercing screech happened, and lasted for a second or so, then suddenly I lost all sound coming from my tweeter. No bulb went on at all.

Damn, I think I need to replace the diaphragm.:eek:

20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id still check the bulb. ive blown em' before without them ever lighting up. itll only take you a couple of seconds to check and if thats what it is a couple of bucks to fix.