Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Twilight Zone CCR

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DaftCat, Jul 17, 2005.

1. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Last night we had a request to play CCR. We said who?

Anyway, the crowd was a little drunk last night so we played Bad Moon Rising. Of course people got on the dance floor.

Toward the end of the song we decided to make it sorta go on and on. We did the chorus about nine times then the drummer broke out laughing. The guy in the crowd who requested it was covering his ears by the 6th or 7th repetition of the chorus. The people still danced, I might add. Either they didn't get it or didn't care(I think the latter).

After the tune I mentioned it was the "Rod Serling Twilight Zone hell" version of Bad Moon Rising. :)

It is always fun to attempt to have fun with something that you hate to do. Anyone else have any such stories?

2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    ROFL. I'll keep that idea in mind. :smug:

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Speaking of screwing with drunks. One night we had a request to do Brown Eyed Girl... we already did it, but we did it again. And at the end, we did it again. Then a couple more songs... then as we were packing up... people were yelling "BROWN EYED GIRL!" So, I strum on my bass, all open strings.... then walk up to the mic and do the worst/death metal/solo bass version of Brown Eyed Girl ever... mostly me just grunting BROWN EYED GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLllllLLLLl

4. I think that's a different song. That's Brown Eye Girl. :eek: :bag:

Randy

5. We try to make sure that we accommodate all requests. This leads to the phrase: "Oh, man! We just did that one last set! We'll see if we can fit it in again, but, we've got a lot of other requests before that."

The other thing we like to is say "this is by request!" just before one of our tunes on our set list. Keeps people thinking that we're actually doing requests and theirs will be up soon.

6. Cristofre

Cristofre

Jul 8, 2004
    Georgia, USA
    LOL !!! Oh man that cracked me up.
    I love doing stuff like that, Ive played in a bunch of bar bands and sometimes screwing around with the drunks is so much fun.

One time some rednecky type dude walked up and asked for something by some country singer (which I cant remember at the moment) so here we are, we've been playing rock n roll all evening, we are obviously NOT a country band. ... me and the guitarist/singer look at each other and he says in the mic "alright here is something off of so and so's newest album, youve probably not even heard it yet" and we launched into some Metallica song or something...
    Oh man the look on that guys face, I think it took a minute to sink in that we were messing with him...

Oh yeah... and playing in bars from time to time you get someone in the audience that wants to sing a song with us, we generally try to talk them out of it, but you know, sometimes a drunk cannot be persuaded, so we will let them have a mic and we will start playing the song and we slow down or speed up or make up new backup vocals, just completely have a blast, and if the dude/dudette even makes it all the way through the song they never bother us again!!