Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Twin cities Area Bass Stores

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by watspan, Feb 18, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    TC TB'rs: I'm going to be up in the Twin Cities this spring and would like to check out a few Music Stores w/ good selections of Basses, Amps and Effects--any suggestions? Bonus points for web addresses! thanks!

2. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Ya, wheres da Minnesoutans der, hey!:D

3. Best:
    Willies American Guitars - Vintage and high end, way cool place. Right next to the best malt shop in St. Paul, Snuffy's.
    www.williesguitars.com

Next best and closing fast: IMHO
    My Music, Golden Valley, just off highway 169 and 55. I live close to here so I go there once in a while. Not a lot of high-end new stuff but some sweet vintage, and he carries stuff no one else does.
    www.my-music-store.com

LaVonnes
    Shakopee MN (SW of Twin Cities)
    no web I know of

Groth Music, Bloomington. Right near the airport. Good all-around music store, especially world percussion. Not alot of bass stuff but cool acoustic section. Usually has a PV cirrus or two.
    www.grothmusic.com

There's 2 GC's (bleah) one in Roseville, one in Edina.

Don't bother with Schmitt Music unless you want ot play piano.

Stay Low,
    Basstrader

4. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I do appreciate the help Basstrader! Sorry to bait you with the Fargo-Speak!!!:D

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Where is Roark Haver, Im sure he knows of some.

Do a search. I asked the same question not to long ago and got some good recommendations. Oh, heck I'll look right now....hang on....

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

7. Willies in St. Paul and Groth in Bloomington. Groth doesn't have a huge selection but it is a great all around music store and the people are really nice. Huge selection of percussion equipment!

If you go to Willies leave the check book at home and don't drool.

There are also a couple of GC's if you don't mind them. One in Roseville and one in Edina.

I wouldn't waste my time with Schmidt Music, they have a very small selection of basses. Mostly beginner stuff. They specialize in beginner packages and lessons (by guitar players who "also teach bass":meh: .

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Roark- I have to ask what. Is that your name?? Never new a Roark.

Another- Where is Willie's at in St.Paul?? South or North?

9. I am named after the main character in Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, Howard Roark. My mother read it when she was pregnent with me in 1959. Yes, my parents were beatnicks, it explaines a lot if you ask my wife.

If you familiar with the roads in St. Paul (which is not possible), Willie's is on Cleveland south of I-94.

map

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx man!!! Good explaination!! Dig the name.

11. I re-did the link as I screwed it up the first time. Hey Odie, that frostbite is looking better (you'll need to check back on the thread regarding your new avatar in the lounge for that to make sense).

12. Roark,

Have you been over to My Music in Golden Valley? If you're ever on the west side (169 & 55, go east to Winnetka) He's got a great store. He just expanded too, so life must be good. He's the former manager of Music Plus (now out of biz) and has cool vintage stuff. Carries Eden and SWR amps and some other stuff, Godin basses, G&L, Parker, and Lakland. Last time I was in there he had a 55-02 on the wall. Nice bass.

Basstrader

13. I wondered where Music Plus went. I'd never been there, but I hear it was a nice store. That's not too far from me at all. I'll have to check it out. I still feel nervous about going to anything but the drum department of a store, but I'm trying to "step out" more.

Thanks Basstrader.