Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Twin sets of pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZenBass, Aug 8, 2004.

1. I hve just bought a set of Fender Vintage Pickups and will be coupling them with a Sad Onbaord Pre-amp....

But i had a Crazy thought last nite....!!

Is it possbile to install two sets of Jazz Pups effectivly making two MM style pickups and have a swtich to swtich between..

Set 1
    Set 2
    Both Sets

Giving an interesting and unique sound..

This would give me bassically a Bongo type config with the twin MM's that you can swtich between the coils..

Also.. can someone please tell me wot Double and single coil tapping means....

If a manufacture has already done this could you point me in the right direction I seem to remember the Peavey T40 had this config....??...

[​IMG]

Cheers peeps..
    :)

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think most MM-style pickups have coil taps (wires coming from both coils inside the pickup) that you connect with a switch to use those 3 wiring options... Seems like that'd be easier than using 4 J pickups.

3. My thinkin is..

To Use my Vintage Jazz to get a lovely warm sound and then buy maybe a set of Status Hyperactive Pups to get Hi-Fi..... all in one bass...

I know it sound dumb maybe but ive never seen this before and for me it seems like a good idea to be able to switch betweeen pickup styles with just a flick of a switch..

but maybe its a bit too far fetched....:)