Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Twin Truss Rods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, Apr 2, 2003.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    How many basses out there have twin truss rods in the neck and what is your 2 cents on them?

Has anyone come across any problems with two?

My 2 cents is I like them alot. My Alembic has twin rods as well as my Dean Edge 6 (I was surprised). I found the two rods really make it easier to "dial in" the neck because not only can you adjust bow, but also twist. This is handy if you get a buzz just on one side.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    all of my conklins have double rods in the neck. i asked bill about it, and he said that a single rod would be sufficient, but that folks sorta expect a double rod with a 7 string.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Jerzy Drozd I just bought, a six-string, has 2 truss rods. I see no negatives, only positives.

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Rickenbackers have 2 truss rods.

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Is that for the 4003 models due to the neck problems associated with the 4001 models?

6. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    4001's have two truss rods too.

7. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    We put 2 in our 6 strings......1 in the 4's and 5's....

8. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    a little of topic, but just a question for RAM:
    did you receive the Jerzy drozd already, and if so: how is it? Judging by the pic it must be gorgious in real life too...

Thanks,

Marijn

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I've heard that it's critical that both rods be adjusted the same in a dual rod neck. If they're conflicting it could damage the neck wood. Not sure if it's true, maybe someone with more experience knows better.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My US Curbow Int'l Petite 5 has two truss rods. It's also got a Rockwood neck, rockwood fretboard, and two graphite bars. Can you say stable (or, overengineered)? I've had the bass for 8 years, and I've never once had to touch the trussrod--and that includes numberous string brand, type, and tuning changes (flatwound, roundwound, B-G, E-C...you get the picture).

Curbow only uses one truss rod now in the majority of his instruments. Like Conklin, he says that the 7 string necks only really need one rod, but people expect two in a neck that wide.

For what it's worth, both my 6 and 8 string Curbows only have one truss rod in them, and I haven't really noticed any difference in the stability.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    word, deacon bassmonkeee...my curbow six has the graphite bars and dual rods....rockwood neck, board AND body...this bass is a farkin' tank. it'll be around after the next world war hanging out with the cockroaches.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and it'll probably still be in tune, too :D

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    no doubt...

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my Schecter Studio 6 has two...very easy to adjust.

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    My Toby 6-string has two rods...the neck is setup very well on it, but I never had any probs with a single truss either...

When I got the Toby set up at Rudy's Music (NYC), they commented that on this bass 'both truss rods work'. When I asked them what that meant, they said that often only one truss rod will actually make the neck move, the other one just sort of bends with it which I thought was interesting...

Not sure which is better, per se. I did hear one philosophy that to have two truss rods you have to carve a lot of wood out of the neck (which might sacrifice stability) -- but having two rods seems to be pretty standard practice in multi-string basses, so that's probably a myth.

The MPG 6 that is being made for me has only one truss rod, but has carbon fiber neck laminates...so we'll see how that fares in terms of stability and adjustability ;)

16. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    4001s had weaker truss rods. To adjust them, you would physically move the neck and then tighten the rods. The 4003's truss rods will move the neck themselves.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, I haven't received it yet. I've actually got a question that I'm posting in another thread that's directly related to that bass.

But, I "visited" it again this past weekend and fell in love all over again!:D

I think the wife's jealous.;)