Twins Project Completed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Apr 28, 2001.

1. I've been working on this project for about a year now. The inspiration came after getting the fretless, loving it (my first Jazz) and wanting another to complement.

Obviously the first two are the relatives!

The fretted is a 1989 MIJITSO '62 Jazz. Upgrades are Gotoh reverse tuners, Schaller bridge, Fender PG, and chrome knobs. This bass will soon have a J-Retro preamp!

The fretless is a 1996 MIJITSO '62 Jazz. It came with the ABM bridge, and MOP pickguard. I added the Fender tuners, brass nut, chrome knobs, and dyed the fingerboard. I swear that it has aftermarket pups in it but can't be sure. They sure do sound hot though.

So which is the EVIL TWIN? :)
  2. yep the fretless it the evil twin, the growl of a fretless can sound like it is coming from the bowels of hell.

nice looking basses hambone
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is the one on the far right a Kwai? (sp?)
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those twins are sweet, Hambone.

And the fretless is so obviously the Evil Twin.:)
  5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    maybe im a little lost but what are we trying to guess? evil twin right right. what do you mean?
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    SWEET!!!! The black hardware & black pearl pickguard are the perfect touch!!!!!!! Now you got me wanting a J bass, again. LOL!!!!
  7. Good eye Brendan!

Yeah that's my Kawai. I've always wanted but never been able to afford an Alembic but when I first saw the Kawai's almost 2 years ago, they intrigued me. After that I went ebay hunting and bagged this one. I would consider the Kawai one of the most underrated basses on the used market. Ebay prices for these things have stayed steady ranging from $350 - $450. This one was in perfect 9+ condition. This is the "Piano Tone" bass of all time.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bass player from a band that comes through my town frequently has one of those. He helt me play it, and I thought they are pretty darned good! He too wanted an Alemblic, and settled for a Kawai. It's pretty killer, especially becuase nobody expects one. The tone is to die for, IMHO.