Twisted bass neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kaljultdgl, Jan 29, 2020.

1. kaljultdgl

kaljultdgl

Oct 21, 2019
    I think the neck in my G&l Tribute L-2000 is twisted.
    The way I have it set up now the neck has some relief (I haven't measured the relief but more than enough) and the action is a little bit higher than I'd like. (I use a very low action in my main bass).
    The g string is over 2,5mm off the fretboard at 12th fret and i get fret buzz at the first two frets.

My question is this: Is it possible to fix this issue by leveling the frets?
    I mean the neck would stay twisted but if the frets were more even it wouldn't matter?
    I believe that the neck is a little twisted, not very much.

It's a great sounding bass and very versatile, but I wish I could make it feel a little faster.

2. Possible but expensive especially if it requires removal of the frets and planing the fretboard. Sometimes the truss rod can be slackened and with heat and/or time it may come back but I would take it to a good tech who can properly diagnose the cause as it may be something simple like a newly cut nut or a few tall frets.

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    A twist is unlikely to impact the first two frets. A high fret is much more likely. Do all the strings buzz on these frets or just one or two? You may have a fret end that has come loose. Roland GR 88 is right that fretwork to correct a twist is usually a big deal, fret work to correct one or two high frets or loose frets is not.

dwizum likes this.
  4. kaljultdgl

kaljultdgl

Oct 21, 2019
    Only the first string buzzes at the first two frets and maybe a little on the third fret too.
    When i tried setting the action just a little lower the second string started buzzing in the same place.

When I eyeball the neck relief it looks like it's more "curved" on the bass side than the treble side. But this might just be an illusion caused by frets being not even.

Maybe I'll just wait until I have some extra money and I'll get it fixed by a pro :D
    In this current setup the bass isn't unplayable but i have to remember to play those frets with a light touch and the action is a little high for my taste.

RSBBass likes this.
  5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    That sounds like you have a high fret. I agree that taking it to a pro makes sense. I wouldn't mention a twisted neck. Just tell them the problem and let them diagnose. Sorry for my evil mind but an unscrupulous person may see a $30 job to fix a sprouted fret but hear a multi hundreds dollar concern and go that way.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021