Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Twisted Neck Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is from a company called Little Guitars Works. The neck is ergonomically twisted. Whaddya think? Too radical?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I just wonder how this can work out...

3. hey- they ripped off Wishnevsky! :p

what's the reasoning behind this?

fretting and plucking hands being at different angles?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here's their thinking: Depending on your style of music, the way you move/jump around on stage, sometimes it can be uncomfortable to retain your form. So this is supposed to compensate for that by allow you to have a bass that's conformed to the way your body would be when you do. Or something to that effect.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    So how do they keep the string height constant across the board like that?

Peace
    Nick

6. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Sick.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Agi Lace is doing something similar....

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm...if that works it could really be much better for your wrist. Or at least for my wrist.

brad cook

9. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I'm terribly frightened *runs away screaming* I've seen boards like that at Home Depot, but I never thought they would make good bass necks.

10. odd....

the way it looks in the pic, if the body was worn conventionally on the strap, the nut end of the neck would be twisted too far forward for the player to see what notes they were fretting (yeah, experienced players wouldn't need to see etc.)

but I can see the idea working in terms of compensating for the left hand angle changing as you go up the neck.

11. My guess is that the board does not twist at all when you only look at it one string at a time, but that every string has a different neck angle, so the neck appears to be twisted.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Is it April 1st already?

[​IMG]

Guys, there's no way that can work. You can't keep strings as straight as they are along the end of the fretboard and over the pickups, and then suddenly have them start twisting when you feel like it. A string under tension won't allow it. They're stubborn that way. ;)

13. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    If you look at that picture on the first page of the Little Guitar Works website, you can see that the bridge is on an angle as opposed to being flat on the body.

Wouldn't that make up for the twist in the neck and let the strings lay flat?

Certainly one of the stranger basses I've seen though! :p

14. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I would be lost with the truss rod...
    Somehow, that doesn't seem comfortable.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A-h-h-h, I see. In the picture Woodchuck posted, you cannot see that the bridge and the entire body is angled as such. I have a feeling he did that on purpose. He is foxy like that. (Not to mention plain old foxy.) With that big 'ol picture on the website, though, it all makes sense.

16. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Its a cool idea and it would be awesome if somehere had one so they could give us the scoop on it. I can't imagine playing that sitting down. It looks as if it would be like playing with a regular bass lying on your lap. The strings would be angled too much towards my body for comfort and I play a Cort Curbow so I'm used to discomfort sitting down :D .

The pic Woodchuck looks nice but the pic. and the website makes the bass look really ugly. Not that appearance should be a big factor though but I'm very superficial.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah i'm gonna have to not like this one.. yeah....

18. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    That's what I was wondering... How do they adjust the truss rod?

Nice concept, tough

19. if they used graphite for the neck (maybe graphite neck-through á la Status/Vigier - it would be easier to mould too than carve a wood body/neck) with no trussrod it could work...

with a wood neck as is, when the wood starts shifting with temperature changes there'll be buzzes everywhere...

hey-maybe there's no trussrod- as on Wishnevsky basses- they did rip him off! :p