1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Twisted Neck on a Yamaha BB414

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Death Jester, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Death Jester

Death Jester

Jan 28, 2006
    New Zealand
    Hi all. I have a Yamaha BB414 (one of the newer re-issue models), which is less than eight months old. This is my first bass guitar, I'm pretty much just a learner. So I didnt notice I had a 'twist' in the neck of my bass until a friend of mine pointed it out to me. And from what I have read its a difficult process to get the neck strightened. So my question is: Is it worth going down this path, or should I buy a new neck? Or, is it not really worth fixing and just stick with it, as I will probably buy a better bass in a couple of years time anyway when I am more likely to notice the problem with the neck?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd take it to someone who really knows what he's doing and check to see if the neck is really crooked. It would depend a lot on how bad it is what your options would be.

Replacing a neck could be more expensive than what the bass is worth. A repair might also cost too much.

If the bass is still under warranty, take it back and let Yamaha deal with it.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Often a slight twist in the neck is not the problem a lot of people make it out to be. If it plays OK, it's not a problem. Straightening a twist can be a big deal, and often the repair is not permanent. So if it plays OK, I suggest you save your money for that new bass you think you will get in a couple of years.

4. Death Jester

Death Jester

Jan 28, 2006
    New Zealand
    Thanks for your help guys. Yeah I doubt it is worth trying to fix. I'll take it to an expert anyways and get it looked at. Probably should just concentrate on getting good and worry about the gears later.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Good idea. And while you're at it, put on a set of good strings. That can make quite an improvement in sound and playability. The budget basses tend to ship with budget strings.

6. Good luck with the troubleshooting!! ;)

7. Death Jester

Death Jester

Jan 28, 2006
    New Zealand
    Yes I am in the middle of getting some new strings. I have on order a set of D'Addario ENR70 Semi-flat wound strings. This hopefully should improve things somewhat.