Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two 112 vs 212, does it matter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRB, Nov 1, 2003.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference have having that same speaker setup but in different cabs ie two 112 vs a 212. I know in theory there might be a difference but in reality has anyone noticed one. I have been thinking about getting a 2 112 set up because it will be easier to move but I want to make sure I would loose anything sound wise. Thanks for your info.
    Jonathan

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depends on how the cabinets are designed (the answer will vary depending on the manufacturer and the models in question).

Did you have a particular brand in mind or are you looking for suggestions?

3. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I was thinking about going with two aguilar 112's. If you have any other idea though please let me know. I would also look at Epifani if they were not so expensive.
    Jonathan

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I recollect there have been comparisons of two GS112's to one GS212 in these web pages, you could probably find it with a search.

If I remember rightly, the 2 x GS112 has a bit more power down low...but I don't have the utmost confidence in my memory. I don't think there will be a huge difference other than the portability.

I would go with the two GS112 (or one GS112 and one (8ohm) GS210 -- sonicly very sweet!).

5. I have found from my readings that 2 1x12's have the best of every world. With a 12 inch driver you get the enough punch like a 10 inch and enough low end from a 15 in a compact box.

Within a year or so I hope to upgrade my 80 pound TNT 115 to two Avatar 1x12s, only 45 pounds each. Now if that isn't portable yet powerful I don't know what is.

Glenn